Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Price Increases and Inflation

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    SO and I have noticed inflation for sure. Some ways we are cutting back - stocking up on clothes at the Nogales, Arizona Goodwill. This is a last chance outlet center and what doesn't sell here goes to auction. I have found perfectly acceptable jeans for $1.29. Sweatshirts for .49 cents. Very nice shoes for 1.49 - I have bought so many that SO says I'm in training to be a male Imelda Marcos - remember her and her 3,000 pairs of shoes when the Presidential Palace was raided? I don't have that many pairs but at these prices I will stock up. I have another long weekend coming up next week and it's going to be all about stocking up at the Nogales, AZ Goodwill.

As far as food, I have my employee discount, which isn't much but does help. I am also growing food in the backyard - this Summer's Armenian Cucumbers have been awesome! Willl plant beets and squash soon. Something about growing my own food really works for me - even a small amount in an urban backyard.

As to health, stocking up on meds across the border and also using more over the counter herbal medicine. As for travel, Nogales Arizona/Mexico it will be until such a date as things feel more "normal" - though I rather suspect that it will a "New Normal". Something that helps me gauge prices is reminding myself that minimum wage when I started working was $3.35/hr. It is now $12.15/hr in Arizona and is raising to $12.80/hr on January 1st. My point is of course prices are going to rise when wages do and I also admit to having a poverty mindset of scarcity - this kicks in when prices seem to damn high.

Talking about inflation in housing - Scottsdale, AZ now has among the highest rents in the country.....seriously. I am so so so fortunate to co-own with my cousin and that my part of the mortgage is under $300/mo - once again, I am very fortunate for this. Neither of us have cars which helps, too.

I believe a good thread would be one where we share tips on navigating these damn price hikes. One can't run to Mexico for everything, you know? Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    According to Kelly Blue Book my 2018 Ram EcoDiesel pickup with 32,000 miles is worth between $2000 and $4000 more than I paid for it.
    These are such bizarre times we live in. Remember pre-covid when you bought a new car and it immediately lost value once driven off the dealer's lot? AND people paying more than the manufacturers suggested retail? And I read just the other day that used cars have increased 24% in price the past 12 months. All this makes me glad to be an outlier living an auto-free existence. Rob

Thread Information