Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Price Increases and Inflation

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    SO and I have noticed inflation for sure. Some ways we are cutting back - stocking up on clothes at the Nogales, Arizona Goodwill. This is a last chance outlet center and what doesn't sell here goes to auction. I have found perfectly acceptable jeans for $1.29. Sweatshirts for .49 cents. Very nice shoes for 1.49 - I have bought so many that SO says I'm in training to be a male Imelda Marcos - remember her and her 3,000 pairs of shoes when the Presidential Palace was raided? I don't have that many pairs but at these prices I will stock up. I have another long weekend coming up next week and it's going to be all about stocking up at the Nogales, AZ Goodwill.

As far as food, I have my employee discount, which isn't much but does help. I am also growing food in the backyard - this Summer's Armenian Cucumbers have been awesome! Willl plant beets and squash soon. Something about growing my own food really works for me - even a small amount in an urban backyard.

As to health, stocking up on meds across the border and also using more over the counter herbal medicine. As for travel, Nogales Arizona/Mexico it will be until such a date as things feel more "normal" - though I rather suspect that it will a "New Normal". Something that helps me gauge prices is reminding myself that minimum wage when I started working was $3.35/hr. It is now $12.15/hr in Arizona and is raising to $12.80/hr on January 1st. My point is of course prices are going to rise when wages do and I also admit to having a poverty mindset of scarcity - this kicks in when prices seem to damn high.

Talking about inflation in housing - Scottsdale, AZ now has among the highest rents in the country.....seriously. I am so so so fortunate to co-own with my cousin and that my part of the mortgage is under $300/mo - once again, I am very fortunate for this. Neither of us have cars which helps, too.

I believe a good thread would be one where we share tips on navigating these damn price hikes. One can't run to Mexico for everything, you know? Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    According to Kelly Blue Book my 2018 Ram EcoDiesel pickup with 32,000 miles is worth between $2000 and $4000 more than I paid for it.
    These are such bizarre times we live in. Remember pre-covid when you bought a new car and it immediately lost value once driven off the dealer's lot? AND people paying more than the manufacturers suggested retail? And I read just the other day that used cars have increased 24% in price the past 12 months. All this makes me glad to be an outlier living an auto-free existence. Rob

About 20 million US households (1 in 6) are in arrears on their utility bills. Mark Wolfe, chief of the National Energy Assistance Directors Assn (NEADA), told FOX Business the collective amount in arrears is about $16 billion, an all-time high. The average delinquent amount is $792.

The increased cost of natural gas resulted in higher prices per Kw of electricity. A growing proportion of households are forced to prioritize among essential expenditures (eg food vs rent vs utilities vs other bare necessities).

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    About 20 million US households (1 in 6) are in arrears on their utility bills. Mark Wolfe, chief of the National Energy Assistance Directors Assn (NEADA), told FOX Business the collective amount in arrears is about $16 billion, an all-time high. The average delinquent amount is $792.

The increased cost of natural gas resulted in higher prices per Kw of electricity. A growing proportion of households are forced to prioritize among essential expenditures (eg food vs rent vs utilities vs other bare necessities).
    Yeah it's been ridiculous down here in south LA. Fortunately the weather has been unusually overcast this summer. I still like to use my AC at night, but try to only use it during the day to reduce the humidity in my house. The insulation in the house I rent is horrid and all the windows are single paned, my saving grace this summer has been the trees that Hurricane Ida didn't down and all the unusual overcast weather. Also, turned off my water heater for most of the summer...took some time to get used to cold showers, but when it's 85 degrees in my house it feels pretty good. Deep-cleaned the fridge coils, closed off the front bedroom that I use for storage and as a guest room. Some people here have been paying $400+/month for electricity, fortunately the highest bill I've received so far was only about $150. Our closest power plant is fueled by natural gas and coal (converting to 100% natural gas within the next two years).

I am planning to move to the northwest soon. As bad as the long-term environmental effects have been with regard to dams, it seems like it's a more reliable/renewable/cost-effective power source. And some parts of the northwest have a favorable climate that is expected to still be relatively favorable as climate change progresses, dry and not too cold or too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    SO and I have noticed inflation for sure. Some ways we are cutting back - stocking up on clothes at the Nogales, Arizona Goodwill. This is a last chance outlet center and what doesn't sell here goes to auction. I have found perfectly acceptable jeans for $1.29. Sweatshirts for .49 cents. Very nice shoes for 1.49 - I have bought so many that SO says I'm in training to be a male Imelda Marcos - remember her and her 3,000 pairs of shoes when the Presidential Palace was raided? I don't have that many pairs but at these prices I will stock up. I have another long weekend coming up next week and it's going to be all about stocking up at the Nogales, AZ Goodwill.

As far as food, I have my employee discount, which isn't much but does help. I am also growing food in the backyard - this Summer's Armenian Cucumbers have been awesome! Willl plant beets and squash soon. Something about growing my own food really works for me - even a small amount in an urban backyard.

As to health, stocking up on meds across the border and also using more over the counter herbal medicine. As for travel, Nogales Arizona/Mexico it will be until such a date as things feel more "normal" - though I rather suspect that it will a "New Normal". Something that helps me gauge prices is reminding myself that minimum wage when I started working was $3.35/hr. It is now $12.15/hr in Arizona and is raising to $12.80/hr on January 1st. My point is of course prices are going to rise when wages do and I also admit to having a poverty mindset of scarcity - this kicks in when prices seem to damn high.

Talking about inflation in housing - Scottsdale, AZ now has among the highest rents in the country.....seriously. I am so so so fortunate to co-own with my cousin and that my part of the mortgage is under $300/mo - once again, I am very fortunate for this. Neither of us have cars which helps, too.

I believe a good thread would be one where we share tips on navigating these damn price hikes. One can't run to Mexico for everything, you know? Rob
    Speaking of meds, has anyone tried Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drugs? Apparently he started an online pharmacy that only charges something like 15% markup plus shipping on prescription drugs. I am about to quit my fed job and will still have six months of federal health insurance after quitting, but was considering this online pharmacy if it lives up to the hype. I have psoriatic arthritis and they carry the meds I am currently on.

Blessings and many thanks to my friend who works in a meat plant. Got a HUGE amount of various kinds and sizes of bacon! Freezer stocked and passed some along to the family next door. Definitely a frugal windfall!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Local news announced that there is a 60% increase in ticket prices for admission to the pro football team. And the average price is now $330 per game. I suppose the expensive box seats might pull the average price up. There must be another element of society that will pay that much for what the entertainment is, but not in my small frugal social circle, even if they like football.

Just booked a night at a place we stayed in the spring. Price has gone up 50%.... sigh.

I always tally our grocery receipts monthly mostly out of habit. They went up $100 in August for mostly the same things we usually buy. Also checked the flight prices for a T'Giving trip. Oh my!

I needed to stain a deck... the price of the stain was $70 per gallon. But the stir stick was free!

Thread Information