Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Increases and Inflation

Today the Consumer Price Index was released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. CPI-W (all items) is up 3% since March one year ago.

We cross a toll bridge to get to work - pay toll going, not coming back. It was $1, but this past week it was raised to $3!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    We cross a toll bridge to get to work - pay toll going, not coming back. It was $1, but this past week it was raised to $3!
    Looking at the bright side, now at $3 you are traveling First Class!

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Looking at the bright side, now at $3 you are traveling First Class!
    I'm not sure about that. I'm sitting on the same lumpy car seat as I was before. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Our new employee slated to start today isn't because his employer offered a $5 an hour increase to keep him. Wage inflation and labor shortages are real. Hopefully when the extra unemployment expires it helps some with this situation.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the 12-month Consumer Price Index (all items) increased 5%...

This was the greatest 12-month increase since the period ending August 2008.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the 12-month Consumer Price Index (all items) increased 5%...

This was the greatest 12-month increase since the period ending August 2008.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm
    The news is saying that this is some sort of catchup inflation as the supply chains get up and running again and gas prices get back to pre pandemic supply and demand. So possibly not increase in interest rates (although I think higher interest rates that would be good for the crazy housing issues).

I was shopping at a big box store for a dishwasher that went out before the pandemic. Mid-priced white, my choice, is generally out of stock although stainless seemed to be in reasonably supply. The salesman said certain sizes and varieties of refrigerators are hard to come by.

Gas is nearly $3.50/gallon in the NW Chicago suburbs.

Ours is close to 4 but gas always goes up in the summer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I was shopping at a big box store for a dishwasher that went out before the pandemic. Mid-priced white, my choice, is generally out of stock although stainless seemed to be in reasonably supply. The salesman said certain sizes and varieties of refrigerators are hard to come by.
    Mid-priced white appliances just seem to be hard to come by, period. We've been sorta-shopping for a washer and dryer (ours have run far longer than anyone said they would) and we want white and mid-priced and you've got to be flexible on model or even brand. Stainless steel models seem easier to find; I think SS is just way more popular than white is now. Thank goodness we're not fixed on some other color ("Black Stainless" or "Toast" or such).

Target will not sell you a white microwave off the floor unless it's one of those $49 cheapies. Best Buy won't sell you black off the floor. It's a little challenging.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information