Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Increases and Inflation

We are spending $50-$75 more per month on groceries but I think it is more because my frugality factor has been toned down to limiting trips and stops. I am blown away by the increase in hand sanitizer prices however. Is that inflation or gouging?

Our grocery prices have went up too. Plus we are feeding my 40 year old son which won’t end anytime soon. He was going to go to Alaska to work in a fish canary. They have been saying for a month his plane ticket was coming. Now they have a big virus outbreak. He left for a 2 week hiking trip and then will look for a job.

Headed back out to the store today - with a list! Hopefully I'll manage to keep it somewhat reasonable.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I grocery shop once a week for myself, as well as a mid-80s senior lady from church (we share a music stand in choir and are close). I go to Jewel, a major Chicago grocery chain, most of the time. I can get everything there without having to make extra trips. Quicker shopping trip than in a huge store such as Walmart or Target. If you watch the sales, the prices really aren't too bad, considering the "convenience factor" of not having to make multiple trips.

I bought a lb of 80/20 ground beef on Friday and it was $7/lb. This was a bad time, price wise, for me to go keto, but I'm coping OK. I like pork chops a lot, so I'll buy the big family packs when I can get them for a decent price.

We figured out how to get the best of two worlds. First on Sunday morning as soon as the big supercenter (not walmart) opens, we are in and around the outer border of the store with our list. They have the lowest prices (with the exception of Walmart where I will not shop). Here we get our standard staples.

Then we drop off Mom's groceries and as we go home we hit up our local medium sized quirky Kroger for WooHoo 50% or more off clearance deals. Almost always get some great salads, twice we got some ground turkey for $1.49 a pound, sometimes bread or premium cookies, yogurt, milk which is cheapest here, sometimes premium eggs, misc. clearance items and whatever Kroger has on steep sale that we use. THe store has 7 spots where they might put clearance products. Then home to put it all away. Almost like a treasure hunt. Note: not all Krogers have such well organized and obvious clearance sales or maybe they have been picked up before we checked them out.

Prices are going up. One item I used to buy for $1.99 went to $2.49 and then $2.79 and $2.99 and now I see it marked $3.29. No longer on our list.

What is everyone seeing with prices now? The big bags of frozen fruit I eat with yogurt have recently gone up to $10.99. $1 increase. This is at Jewel, major Chicago grocery chain. Much easier to get everything at one store, and prices aren't too bad, especially if you watch sales.

Gas has gone through the roof. Almost $3/gallon here in the Chicago suburbs. My Escape was down to 1/4 tank and it cost me $36 to fill it up yesterday.
    Last edited by Tradd; 3-16-21 at 10:23am.

Grocery costs are higher for me, as I'm at the mercy of "whatever we have" as an Amazon Fresh shopper, and I regularly succumb to impulse buys. I'm looking forward to being able to shop at Grocery Outlet again, but I couldn't be more grateful that I have multiple options for food that arrives at my doorstep, even if it's at a price.

Like Sweetana, I will buy milk at a senior discount, some basic items like grape tomatoes, spices, cabbage, toilet paper, etc., at regular price and the rest at 50% or more discount for veggies, fruit, cheese, breads, some meats. I eat whatever I bring home adjusting my menu accordingly.

Gas has leaped in price. Due to covid , my travels are few. Since Nov 19/20, I have topped up my Prius once. Most activities are done by Zoom now including church services. Just finished a fun choir sing-a-long to celebrate St Patrick's Day by Zoom. Recently, held a class reunion for all spread across North America via Zoom seeing some who could never make it to a physical location.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Maybe it's just that we don't buy stuff that often, but I'm not seeing huge recent price increases. Gasoline around here has floated between $2.25-$2.60/gallon depending on whether the temperature ends in an odd number (or some other random variable); diesel has trended to around $3.00/gallon but that's not an unusual price in winter. Food (we tend to buy the same items each time) doesn't seem any more expensive than it did. Buying every two weeks or so and having had DW retire in the pandemic so our grocery bill now reflects about 19 of 21 meals a week prepared and eaten at home bumped our grocery spend so that may hide some price increases. I'm just not seeing big price differences. Maybe I need to look harder.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Other than gas, I've not seen any noticeable price increase in groceries or other staples. I have noticed some modest increases in utilities and trash service and the discount I had on car insurance due to reduced pandemic driving has returned to the previous rate.

Thread Information