Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: voter suppression

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Death--the most effective voter suppression ever!
    Unless you're in Chicago where dead people vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Unless you're in Chicago where dead people vote.
    Chicago actually stations uniformed cops at all polling places. I moved to Chicago in 1996. The first time I voted after I moved, I was shocked to see a cop inside the polling place. I mentioned to the cop that such things weren't needed in Michigan where I had just moved from. Cop gave me a nasty look and might have said something about not talking to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Chicago actually stations uniformed cops at all polling places. I moved to Chicago in 1996. The first time I voted after I moved, I was shocked to see a cop inside the polling place. I mentioned to the cop that such things weren't needed in Michigan where I had just moved from. Cop gave me a nasty look and might have said something about not talking to him.
    Chicago may have more resources available to deploy relative to Michigan, who needs to pursue unauthorized motorboat usage and contraband flower seeds.

I actually bought flower seeds today in Michigan.

Just because I could, bwahaha.

When petunias are outlawed, only outlaws will have petunias.

4/28 has arrived... How is Ohio doing with the mail-in vote?

From what I read, only a fraction of the eligible voters applied for the mail-in ballots... and of these, many did not receive the ballots in time, so they have the Plan B option of casting a provisional ballot in person.

I understand that line-ups were expected on election day. I hope the waits were not excessively long.

Some reports mentioned that Ohio voters would be able to track their ballot after they mailed it in -- adding to their confidence that their vote would count (fraud would be absent).

I hope that voters di not "go postal" with frustration. <wink>

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    4/28 has arrived... How is Ohio doing with the mail-in vote?

I hope that voters di not "go postal" with frustration. <wink>
    We're fine, thanks for asking.

If you're looking for a better case of voter suppression you might look at Maryland and their issues with last minute mail-in of ballots in their 7th District election to replace Elijah Cummings. The Governor is Republican but the General Assembly is controlled by Democrats so it's probably not as satisfying a read.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

@ Alan
    I briefly scanned the news headlines about the District 7 election in Maryland. I did not see any mention of voter suppression. I understand that absentee ballots were mailed to 484,000 registered voters in the district, and provision was made for persons with disabilities to vote in person. Could you describe what were the issues in the District with last minute mail-in ballots?

@ Alan
    I briefly scanned the news headlines about the District 7 election in Maryland. I did not see any mention of voter suppression. I understand that absentee ballots were mailed to 484,000 registered voters in the district, and provision was made for persons with disabilities to vote in person. Could you describe what were the issues in the District with last minute mail-in ballots?
    Constitutional issue involving a poll tax due to the requirement that some voters supply their own stamps, difficulty locating ballot drop off boxes in some neighborhoods and some households with multiple voters only receiving one ballot.

I personally believe those issues are the simple result of local officials having difficulty with last minute voting and have nothing to do with voter suppression, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Edited to provide links: https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-congress-election-lost-ballots-20200424-ea7xi6bepvblhpttjr37l2ylgm-story.html#nws=true

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/elections/bs-md-pol-special-general-election-7th-district-need-to-know-20200427-ugk25hrp2zfafay2ajzmwnm73m-story.html#nws=true

You may have to copy/paste to get them to work due to their source.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

In Washington, at least, stamps aren't required, ballot drop-off boxes are widely advertised, and if there are problems with people not getting ballots, they must be rare, as I haven't heard of them. Voters in both Oregon and Washington report being very satisfied with vote by mail.

Thread Information