Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: voter suppression

I read poll workers are refusing to go to work and the National Guard will have to run the polling places. Dado Potato is this true?

Unless they change our system of voting, it is one of the most dangerous places when a virus is spreading. Close contact in every aspect. No disinfecting of machines. Even our early voting can be hit or miss and requires talking to various people across a small table, passing people going in and out in smallish rooms, and handling of items back and forth.

Irony, like democracy in WI, is dead.

https://www.wicourts.gov/

Many people will get absentee ballots too late to cast them in a system that got a ton of request for absentee ballots. Of course restricting voting to those who request them well ahead of time IS disenfranchisement. It has a clear class bias if nothing else, will be more well educated, more middle class and well off people. There's nothing wrong with that EXCEPT does everyone have a right to vote or not? I mean many people did request them but too late.

The problem with WI is they clearly sometime give Republicans some power. We don't make that mistake here.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I see the US Supreme Court has also backed holding our primary today, citing a longstanding principle against last-minute changes to elections. I’m not sure what the right decision would have been, although I have heard enough claims of “threats to our democracy” that I am somewhat inoculated against them.

I suppose our politics have become more feverish than any viral infection; so it was probably inevitable that we would see people speaking almost hopefully of enough people over sixty sickening to affect the November election in a swing state.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I read poll workers are refusing to go to work and the National Guard will have to run the polling places. Dado Potato is this true?
    True on both counts. Milwaukee County, where 1,256 persons had tested positive for COVID-19 as of 4/6/20, had approximately 1,000 poll workers refuse to work on 4/7/20 election day. The Milwaukee Election Commission announced that they would open 10 to 12 voting centers on election day, but in fact were able to open only 5, according to Associated Press reporting. Historically, Milwaukee has 180 polling places open, typically "walking distance" from voter's homes.

Green Bay has 2 polling places open, according to Spectrum News. 10 people at a time are allowed into the polling places. The wait time to stand in line before entering a polling place in Green Bay was 2.5 to 4 hours.

Press reports stated that 2,500 WI National Guard would be dispatched to substitute for poll workers and to dispense hand sanitizer. The Guard members are volunteering (as ordered) to help at polling places in their own home-towns, and they are not in uniform. Most of the regular election volunteers they are replacing are in their 60s and 70s.

Edited with updated information.
    Last edited by dado potato; 4-7-20 at 3:19pm.

Wisconsin has certainly went downhill since I left 27 years ago. Ugh!

Who is disproportionately affected by the virus in Wisconsin, and therefore more impacted by a viral outbreak during an election?

Wouldn't you know I found an article that covers that.

https://www.propublica.org/article/e...-alarming-rate

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Who is disproportionately affected by the virus in Wisconsin, and therefore more impacted by a viral outbreak during an election?

Wouldn't you know I found an article that covers that.

https://www.propublica.org/article/e...-alarming-rate
    We may not have a vaccine yet, but we have isolated a new species of grievance.

Rupublicans will benefit from all of this. That and gerrymandering previously.

Thread Information