Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: voter suppression

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think it's possible for me to explain photos with no explanation or background to accompany them. Maybe it's easier for you but I seem to be cursed with the requirement of more info.
    The postal workers explained them. You just don't want to listen.

Ballot drop boxes have been torched in at least 2 instances. Officials have sought criminal investigation and have responded by increasing the frequency of pick-ups of ballots from the drop boxes.

October 18: Baldwin Park suburb east of Los Angeles, with an estimated 75% Latinx population. Torched drop box contained about 100 ballots.

October 25: Boston downtown. Torched drop box contained 122 ballots, 87 of which were still able to be processed. 35 ballots destroyed.

(Reported in USA Today)

And then this happened in N.C. today. Pepper spraying and arresting peaceful protestors (and a member of the press) having a march to the polling place. Sadly this is will surprise approximately no one.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cops-p...north-carolina

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And then this happened in N.C. today. Pepper spraying and arresting peaceful protestors (and a member of the press) having a march to the polling place. Sadly this is will surprise approximately no one.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cops-p...north-carolina
    What does that have to do with voter suppression?

I'm wondering what I should expect if I'm part of a crowd blocking traffic and disrupting businesses without a permit? Probably something like this. I know we're supposed to see victims everywhere we look, but I'm just not seeing it. In the linked video the police were clearing the street of people who appeared to be going nowhere, they certainly weren't attempting to vote. I'm guessing that claim was the hook to bring in readers.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Those damn people peaceably assembling. I wonder if the constitution has something to say about that.

They were marching to the polls to vote. Children as young as 5 were affected by the pepper spray. It was billed as a nonpartisan event to get out the vote.

There is no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Those damn people peaceably assembling. I wonder if the constitution has something to say about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    They were marching to the polls to vote. Children as young as 5 were affected by the pepper spray. It was billed as a nonpartisan event to get out the vote.

There is no excuse.
    It's too bad someone gave them the idea they could take over a public thoroughfare and hold it hostage for as long as they wanted. It must have been a shock to be encouraged to move along after long months of the media, social media and well meaning but clueless liberals re-defining peaceful protest to include unlawful activities such as rioting, looting, burning and denying fellow citizens access to public spaces.

Hopefully they took the opportunity to continue to the polls and vote if that was their intention.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It's too bad someone gave them the idea they could take over a public thoroughfare and hold it hostage for as long as they wanted. It must have been a shock to be encouraged to move along after long months of the media, social media and well meaning but clueless liberals re-defining peaceful protest to include unlawful activities such as rioting, looting, burning and denying fellow citizens access to public spaces.

Hopefully they took the opportunity to continue to the polls and vote if that was their intention.
    I did not get the same takeaway from the article, nothing about "well meaning but clueless liberals re-defining peaceful protest to include unlawful activities such as rioting, looting, burning and denying fell citizens access to public spaces."

Seemed like people marching to vote to me, and it's kind of hard to continue to the polls and vote if you are arrested, or vomiting, or taking care of your sick five year old who has been attacked by the police with tear gas.

It is like we read different articles.

This situation is heart-breaking, and it seems racially motivated to me. Like a return to the early 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It is like we read different articles.
    Did you watch the embedded video in the article? It clearly showed that protesters had blocked a round-a-bout and refused to stay within the marked route or move out of the public thoroughfare when ordered to do so.

I did not get the same takeaway from the article, nothing about "well meaning but clueless liberals re-defining peaceful protest to include unlawful activities such as rioting, looting, burning and denying fell citizens access to public spaces."
    That certainly wasn't included in the article but it is my takeaway from months of "peaceful protests" which almost always turn into something else while well meaning people make excuses for bad behavior.

Did you watch the embedded video in the article? It clearly showed that protesters had blocked a round-a-bout and refused to stay within the marked route or move out of the public thoroughfare when ordered to do so.

That certainly wasn't included in the article but it is my takeaway from months of "peaceful protests" which almost always turn into something else while well meaning people make excuses for bad behavior.[/COLOR]
    I did not, I am sorry, I did not realize it was there.

Thread Information