Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: voter suppression

Some of my friends in Wisconsin requested absentee ballots a month ago and never got them. That’s voter suppression. All are in the high risk group.

I think it is quaint that ya’ll assume continued competence from election boards is no big deal. An entire government system based on volunteers. What could possibly go wrong in an emergency? Gee. What a surprise.

I hope every one of you are thinking about the November election and how that will be carried out,@;$ how you specifically will help.

DH is done with working at the polls. Let the whiners who know everything run it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think it is quaint that ya’ll assume continued competence from election boards is no big deal. An entire government system based on volunteers. What could possibly go wrong in an emergency? Gee. What a surprise.

I hope every one of you are thinking about the November election and how that will be carried out,@;$ how you specifically will help.

DH is done with working at the polls. Let the whiners who know everything run it.
    I can't say enough good for statewide vote by mail; it works.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I can't say enough good for statewide vote by mail; it works.
    Exactly! You have the answer! You and 50 billion other people who will not lift a finger. Despite your IT background I see that you recommend paper ballots.

I don’t know how you think a paper ballot system will be processed.

The Techno crowd of course thinks software will solve it all. For them The Answer is always technology.

sorry to be so crabby about this but it is a hot button for me.

Apparently we have the technology and know how to manage paper ballots. Oregon and Washington would surely be happy to offer consulting on this most radical technology. And if people have elected state officials incapable or unwilling to make this happen then they need to elect better officials. WI failing to send ballots to people is just another example of republicans telling people government can’t do anything right and then working hard to show the people that they really are the incompetent idiots They promised to be once they get elected.

Edited to add, California could probably offer consulting as well. I just looked it up and north of 60% (fully 68% in 2018) of the largest states voters use absentee ballots.

My husband loves working the polls and I don’t consider it volunteer work because they get paid. He wants to work them in June but it’s too dangerous and we will further discuss this. They can use the national guard if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Apparently we have the technology and know how to manage paper ballots. Oregon and Washington would surely be happy to offer consulting on this most radical technology. And if people have elected state officials incapable or unwilling to make this happen then they need to elect better officials. WI failing to send ballots to people is just another example of republicans telling people government can’t do anything right and then working hard to show the people that they really are the incompetent idiots They promised to be once they get elected.
    Please volunteer to work those paper ballot systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My husband loves working the polls and I don’t consider it volunteer work because they get paid. He wants to work them in June but it’s too dangerous and we will further discuss this. They can use the national guard if needed.
    You are free to not “consider it volunteer work” but clearly, labor for elections is provided largely by those who offer their time on a voluntary basis. They are not conscripted and their ongoing employment does not hinge on working a poll.

Low level poll workers here work 14.5 hour days at $7.24/hour, and the supervisors work longer hours.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Exactly! You have the answer! You and 50 billion other people who will not lift a finger. Despite your IT background I see that you recommend paper ballots.

I don’t know how you think a paper ballot system will be processed.

The Techno crowd of course thinks software will solve it all. For them The Answer is always technology.

sorry to be so crabby about this but it is a hot button for me.
    From https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/faq_vote_by_mail.aspx
    How does the elections department process my vote by mail (absentee) ballot securely?

It is essential to the integrity of an election that ballot processing be accurate and transparent, while maintaining your right to a secret ballot. After you return your voted ballot, your county elections department follows this ballot counting process:

Your signature on the outer return envelope is checked against the signature on file in your voter registration record to make sure they match.

You are credited for voting in that election. This ensures that only one ballot from each voter is counted.

The outer return envelope, which identifies you, is then separated from the inner security envelope, which contains your voted ballot. Your ballot cannot be traced back to you, ensuring the secrecy of your vote.

All ballots are inspected to make sure the tabulating machine will be able to read all votes. Tabulation equipment is tested before every election to make sure it is working accurately.

The above steps continue with all ballots until the election is certified.

Elections are certified 10 days after Special Elections, 14 days after Primaries and 21 days after General Elections. Preliminary election results are released on election night after 8 p.m. and are updated as additional ballots are counted.

You are welcome to observe ballot processing. Contact your county elections department for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    From https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/faq_vote_by_mail.aspx
    How does the elections department process my vote by mail (absentee) ballot securely?

It is essential to the integrity of an election that ballot processing be accurate and transparent, while maintaining your right to a secret ballot. After you return your voted ballot, your county elections department follows this ballot counting process:

Your signature on the outer return envelope is checked against the signature on file in your voter registration record to make sure they match.

You are credited for voting in that election. This ensures that only one ballot from each voter is counted.

The outer return envelope, which identifies you, is then separated from the inner security envelope, which contains your voted ballot. Your ballot cannot be traced back to you, ensuring the secrecy of your vote.

All ballots are inspected to make sure the tabulating machine will be able to read all votes. Tabulation equipment is tested before every election to make sure it is working accurately.

The above steps continue with all ballots until the election is certified.

Elections are certified 10 days after Special Elections, 14 days after Primaries and 21 days after General Elections. Preliminary election results are released on election night after 8 p.m. and are updated as additional ballots are counted.

You are welcome to observe ballot processing. Contact your county elections department for more information.
    so?

Thread Information