Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: voter suppression

Apparently Assembly Speaker Robin Vos thought it was perfectly safe for people to be voting. So safe that he dressed up like a surgeon to work as an election inspector. Or maybe he’s just into cosplay.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/polit....html?ofs=fbia

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    We may not have a vaccine yet, but we have isolated a new species of grievance.
    I'm guessing you're not in the demographic facing startling mortality rates from the virus, or scared to don a homemade mask lest you be stereotyped as a robber and shot to death. So to you it may be a mere grievance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I'm guessing you're not in the demographic facing startling mortality rates from the virus, or scared to don a homemade mask lest you be stereotyped as a robber and shot to death. So to you it may be a mere grievance.
    But if he were in that demographic, what could he do to mitigate the conditions you allege?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But if he were in that demographic, what could he do to mitigate the conditions you allege?
    If you're lucky you can find a regular mask and not have to make your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Move to a state where he wasn’t expected to risk his life for the sake of voting?

Waukesha WI is a city with 39,000 registered voters. Today one (1) polling place was open for those who did not vote on absentee ballots.

Kenosha cut the number of polling places to 10 rather than the customary 22.

Racine offered voters the option of drive-thru voting as an alternative to standing in line as in previous elections.

Governor Evers of Wisconsin made this statement: Although I remain deeply concerned about the public health implications of voting in-person today, I am overwhelmed by the bravery, resilience, and heroism of those who are defending our democracy by showing up to vote, working the polls, and reporting on this election. Thank you for giving our state something to be proud of today. Please stay as safe as possible, Wisconsin.

Claire McCaskill, commenting on MSNBC observed that the voters in Wisconsin and across the country will "crawl through glass" to vote out Trump and his supporters in the November election.

It may be heroism... it could be Wisconsinites are stubborn. Like the Wisconsin kid sitting for a job interview:
    Q. Tell me one of your weaknesses.
    A. I can be very stubborn.
    Q. Will you please elaborate?
    A. No, I will not.

Ah well, if our Claire says so, it must be true. Wisconsin voters were not voting in an election with Trump, but whatever, it must have made sense on some level to some people.

I wouldn't do it, show up to vote and risk my life or risk being a carrier. Not because of any lack of courage or what have you, that may be and that may not be, and it's entirely irrelevant.

But in all the blah blah blah spewed about "I am overwhelmed by the bravery, resilience, and heroism of those who are defending our democracy by showing up to vote", what kind of bravery and heroism is it really that ends up killing people? I mean it's not just the case that one risks one's own life which is a risk one is free to take, but one risks other people's lives by being an asymptomatic carrier.

But also I wouldn't do it even if it just risked my own little life because it's a simply a case of the Not Worth the Candle. Sure I often vote when my life is not on the line. But even in the best of cases elections tend to turn out disappointing (and CA kind of is the best of cases ). No not risking my life for another election in which truly decent people run and lose to scoundrels in the end anyway. Not dying for that.
    Trees don't grow on money

whisperingpines
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The details are that the republican legislature is only in existence because of gerrymandering. They had the chance to do the right thing to protect people’s lives but opted to do nothing. So the governor, using the state’s emergency declaration law, tried to do the right thing. And then the republicans controlled state Supreme Court, including a judge up for re-election, decided to do the wrong thing.

But sure, dead people are a small price to pay in order to win an election. Sadly that’s not a perspective that surprises me.

I’ll ask a different way. Given the reality of life today, is it reasonable for WI to go through with having in person voting tomorrow? And if not was the governor acting in bad faith to use the emergency declaration to postpone it?
    Isn't that how the Democraps usually wins... with the votes dead people

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingpines View Post
    Isn't that how the Democraps usually wins... with the votes dead people
    I heard some airhead spewing the "four million dead people on the voting rolls!" nonsense in a panel discussion, and Anderson Cooper just said the obvious: "Dead people don't vote." Apparently, purging voter rolls isn't a priority everywhere. Idiocy.

Thread Information