Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What changes do you see coming in society.....

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Ever thought that those who take lots of sick days, well some might just be using the time off allowed to them and see it as a job benefit that is given them, but some might be people with underlying medical conditions (not even mental health but actual physical conditions) who have to take them to get through?
    I don't think anyone here disagrees with your point. I found the article comment interesting, though, because the attitude it represents is not uncommon.

Most of us here have been in the workforce for a couple of decades (or longer) and/or have additional experience with the world of work through spouses, children, etc. Some (many? all?) of us have been on both the supervisory and the supervised side.

I would bet that every one of us has worked in or knows of at least one work setting in which there was one coworker who complained about everything, or insisted (grumbling all the way) that they couldn't change the way they worked (as all their colleagues had); or whose out-of-the-office record had a strange and unfortunate coincidence with Mondays and Fridays (particularly nice ones).

Similarly, we've worked with people who were, say, single parents who may have had to leave early routinely to pick up their kids -- but who skipped lunch or checked their voicemail or email that evening to compensate for the time missed, or people who had very tenuous childcare (or parent care!) arrangements which, sometimes, required them to take PTO with no advance warning, or people on FMLA who sometimes had to take a few days off at a time because of a flareup in their health or the health of someone they took care of (which is why they were on FMLA).

To put it bluntly, I think most people in a workgroup know who is working to the best of their ability and who is not. The ones who are not are the ones who likely will not be returning if there's a business-related restriction on how many people can be hired back. Perception is a very strong thing. Some folks may find the perception others have of them at work could lead to some missed opportunities.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Some things that were different:

more acceptance that people get sick, they die. Shit happens.
    I agree. More non-elderly people die from the flu per year than have died of covid. A lot of the reaction today seems to be a refusal to accept that elderly people with underlying conditions should have to die of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I agree. More non-elderly people die from the flu per year than have died of covid. A lot of the reaction today seems to be a refusal to accept that elderly people with underlying conditions should have to die of anything.
    BS. 34,000 people total died of the flu last year in the US. Twice that many have died in two months from covid and the numbers keep going up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    A lot of the reaction today seems to be a refusal to accept that elderly people with underlying conditions should have to die of anything.
    I can get the impression that the lives and health needs of the elderly and those with underlying conditions are being devalued by some of the young and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I can get the impression that the lives and health needs of the elderly and those with underlying conditions are being devalued by some of the young and healthy.
    You said it. Just move along; don't forget the inheritance.

I see that the Biden campaign has signed on Ezekiel Emanuel as a health advisor. Dr. Emanuel has written that he doesn’t see much point in staying alive past age 75. Perhaps he doesn’t see accelerating boomer removal as all that tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see that the Biden campaign has signed on Ezekiel Emanuel as a health advisor. Dr. Emanuel has written that he doesn’t see much point in staying alive past age 75. Perhaps he doesn’t see accelerating boomer removal as all that tragic.
    I wonder how he feels about people born with serious birth defects or brain damage. I think Biden might fall into his useless age category, so it's a little ironic.

Well...boomer removal frees up some social security funds Aging is such an individual thing. There are people who act and feel old at 55 and there are 85 year olds who are still enjoying life despite their aches and pains. I think if this virus were affecting more young people, the cavalier response of some might be different.

I am sick of the cavalier attitude of some younger people. I conclude that they don’t love their parents or grandparents. My kids range in ages from 40-47 and are worried about getting it and worried about us. They are suffering financially and are out of work. Once they go back their hours and tips will be much less so are downsizing to a small one bedroom apartment. Not fun at all. Yet they would rather live and are concerned with opening up too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    BS. 34,000 people total died of the flu last year in the US. Twice that many have died in two months from covid and the numbers keep going up.
    Where did you see that, as I am only finding preliminary stats via the CDC, and it goes as low as 24K to as high as 68K. They vary with number that have reported or been reported as having it, verses actually having it.

Until this thing is in hindsight, I am not sure which we can say is worse when it comes to death rate.

Thread Information