Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What changes do you see coming in society.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am not trying to get infected. But I have no desire to live under a rock either.
    False dichotomy

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    If the shopping for my mom thing worked better I'd do it (she never wants me to). I'd risk it to protect my mom. For the economic system though, dying for what again? Oh right The Dow.
    I am not worried about the Dow, but about small businesses and individuals. Already some businesses are closing permanently, and consolidations are expected in the wake of the pandemic. As to individuals, I know you personally know the impact of unemployment once the Federal $600 subsidy expires.

Many of those businesses will go under regardless, even if you open up restaurants, you can't force people to go to them, and if you open them up with half as many tables for distancing they might not be viable anyway. And if you open them up and have a major wave of infections then how well will they do after that, if people weren't afraid of them before well THEN they will be. Or do we now have a duty to go to restaurants or something whether or not it is safe? Benefits to the unemployed should be extended until this thing is more under control, that may not happen, but it's what should happen. Forcing people to work in dangerous conditions is not freedom it's much closer to slavery.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I am not worried about the Dow, but about small businesses and individuals.
    Most of the small businesses in my county will now perish by the end of the year, whether we "re-open" or not.

What will become of these people whose businesses perish? Will they be able to remain in your community?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Restaurants opened here along with stores, all at partial capacity. All my friends and neighbors have no intention of going. Hair, nails and gyms are not open yet, but most I’ve spoken to also will avoid these as long as possible. I’m personally not going to die of stupidity.

The greatest country should be able to convert these lost jobs to manufacturing medications, PPE etc. instead of cheap imported goods. That is what the defense production act was created for in WW2.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Feat...me-production/

people want productive work, not bailouts where the wealthiest take the spoils.

People in Sweden are paying the price heavily compared to their neighbors such as Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    What will become of these people whose businesses perish? Will they be able to remain in your community?
    That depends I suspect on their housing situation and other income generating opportunities. In general I fear there will be a bit of an exodus as people get wiped out..

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Many of those businesses will go under regardless, even if you open up restaurants, you can't force people to go to them, and if you open them up with half as many tables for distancing they might not be viable anyway. And if you open them up and have a major wave of infections then how well will they do after that, if people weren't afraid of them before well THEN they will be.
    I've seen too many articles and reports by chefs -- some of whom are by no means running shoestring operations (well, as the restaurant business goes) -- and they all say pretty much the same thing: a room that is no more than one-quarter or -half full will not let them meet their expenses. They're paying the same rent regardless of how full the room is (unless they can renegotiate the rent; doable with some landlords but not others) and the cost of labor will not change that much. Maybe you won't need as many waiters or buspeople but the back of house staff was already what was needed to make the food the restaurant was known for making. Then there will be the extra expenses of reopening, like redoing menus (disposable or disinfectable), restocking coolers, marking floors and waiting areas, signage, etc. The lower amount of ingredients consumed is a small portion of costs after rent and labor.

I expect there will be a lot of "you go first" in reopening restaurants and bars (maybe they could sell tickets to watch how social distancing is managed among bar patrons, particularly toward the end of the night). And no restaurateur wants to be the owner of the place where a worker with coronavirus (inadvertantly) passes it to other staff or diners (a diner could do that to staff, too). I don't know as flinging open the doors is the answer most people are looking for. Even in Iowa, it won't be a matter of "if you build it, they will come".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I am not worried about the Dow, but about small businesses and individuals.
    I feel SO bad for all small business owners. This does feel like falling off a cliff because the whole shutting things down started out in March as just a couple of weeks, then it was a couple of more weeks, and then a month and now, who knows what will happen. My son works for two couples who just bought the restaurant he works for in mid-February. How are they going to survive? How are any of them going to survive?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information