Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: What changes do you see coming in society.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Does anyone think that because some people have a peanut allergy that can be so serious they die from it we should ban peanuts and eradicate the plant from the planet since we do not have a vaccine or cure for peanut allergy? Should we find and destroy all peanuts, peanut butter, peanut brittle, and Reese's peanut butter cups lest anyone susceptible to them come into contact with them? Should all peanut farmers be thrown out of work? If we don't take these steps are we heartless? Or should we find a way to coexist with the peanut? Should people with peanut allergies take steps to minimize their exposure instead?
    Peanut allergies are not contagious.... not a good analogy.

I heard today Texas says if your employer calls you back to work and you are over a certain age you do not have to return and can still keep collecting unemployment. I thought that was a good decision.

I saw on the news today airlines are considering social distancing. No more packing people tighter and tighter to maximize profits. Maybe if the sardine effect were not in effect on flights from China we would not be in this mess.

Of course putting less people on planes, or in restaurants for that matter, will mean that they will have to raise prices or lose money.

One change Ive seen in my little city is the permanent closure of our small liberal arts college. They were in shaky financial condition before the recent crisis, which seems to have been the final, fatal blow. Im also reading that our state university system has sustained a major loss of revenue. Im wondering if we may see some changes in the way higher education is delivered.

A lot of comparisons have been made to the Spanish flu of 1918, which was followed be a decades long boom before the Great Depression hit. I think this will be the opposite - a decades long Great Depression before a boom. Much of our economy is driven by consumer confidence, which is driven by stable employment. In 1918 lots of younger people died, including soldiers. Now we see infected naval ships but with minimal deaths, and I am unaware of large outbreaks in military barracks.

Covid-19 is striking mainly elderly individuals who are not in the workforce. In my state the percent dead who were in nursing homes has risen from 50% to 60%. In a shrinking economy the labor force is not being reduced and there will not be enough jobs to go around for a long time.

Article in today's Minneapolis StarTribune about changes -- actual and planned -- being made by local businesses reacting to the coronavirus outbreak.

Interesting quote from an executive VP at the Mall of America on just how deep this can/will go:

New safety protocols will include plexiglass barriers at guest services and in food courts; designated doors for entering and exiting the mall; and social distancing markers on floors near digital directories [she didn't mention the elevators -- SinMN]. The mall is also evaluating each attraction in Nickelodeon Universe [indoor amusement park], weighing whether to require visitors to wear masks on certain rides.
    [...]
    And they are already thinking about how holiday shopping will change this year.
    Were looking at what is the Santa experience going to look like? What is Black Friday going to look like? Renslow said. We have to plan for the future.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I watched a zoom visit between the Directors of Museum of Modern Art, NY and the Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto who were discussing the need for tourists to be willing to come back to NY and Toronto for so many tourist-based businesses. It is slowly becoming clear that all these changes and impacts will take some time to fully unfold.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I like the plexiglass barriers for checkout and desk clerks. Good for preventing contagion and people trying to throttle employees.

Thread Information