Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What changes do you see coming in society.....

I think it is way too early to say how things might be different. I highly recommend the American Experience video Influenza 1918:

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-e...nfluenza-1918/

The most interesting point made there is how Americans immediately engaged in a mass forgetting/repression of the experience, it was so painful, and I think that may be the case with this pandemic as well.

I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. It may sound defeatist - and I certainly don't mean it that way - but I'm not sure what I can actually do except respond to whatever happens in the best way I can at the time.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Happystuff: A whole lot of us feel the same way. No one knows what is going to happen. I do feel that it will not be the same as pre virus someway somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I do feel that it will not be the same as pre virus someway somehow.
    I agree. I think enough people will "remember" and changes will occur. I know my thought processes and actions have changed and I hope/will try my best to make some of these changes *stick*.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I was thinking how in my own mind, this experience has been like having a stroke. Trying to relearn how to do things again but realizing certain thoughts and actions no longer work the same - so you learn how to navigate however you can with a faint remembrance of how it was before - very frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think it is way too early to say how things might be different. I highly recommend the American Experience video Influenza 1918:

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-e...nfluenza-1918/

The most interesting point made there is how Americans immediately engaged in a mass forgetting/repression of the experience, it was so painful, and I think that may be the case with this pandemic as well.
    Thank you for the link! AE is one of my favorite PBS series. This was an excellent episode.

I could see things getting back to some semblance of pre-CV days if someone comes up with a vaccine or maybe a cure. Otherwise the threat of a second wave or seasonal redevelopment will lurk heavily in peoples minds for many months or longer and influence crowd gathering businesses or events.

I never gave much of a thought to contagion; now I'm wearing a ninja mask and disinfecting my groceries. What a difference a couple of months make...

Not that much long term, although a few pre-existing trends may accelerate somewhat. I suspect once the threat recedes, we will return to the status quo faster than you can say “hydroxychloroquine”.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Thank you for the link! AE is one of my favorite PBS series. This was an excellent episode.

Very interesting and worth watching. Think it started in Kansas. One town quarantined itself but the influenza was brought in by the mailman!

Thread Information