Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 in Rural Counties

The Bay Area has a higher level of virus and people aren’t staying home making truckee a hot spot. My ex went to his fishing house but did the same as you G. Plus when they left Wichita had few cases and they have mostly at the fishing house before all this happened.

Independent rural grocery stores and pharmacies are having difficulties replenishing their stock. The community might be over 50 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart, but the local merchant is at a disadvantage versus the big box competitor. Local grocers and pharmacists tell of their orders of merchandise being cut in half by the supplier (receiving an "allocation") or not being filled at all.

As a consequence, their shelves are empty of certain items. When the rural stores are able to put merchandise out, it's sold within 10 minutes.

source:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/really-perfe...083043435.html

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Independent rural grocery stores and pharmacies are having difficulties replenishing their stock. The community might be over 50 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart, but the local merchant is at a disadvantage versus the big box competitor. Local grocers and pharmacists tell of their orders of merchandise being cut in half by the supplier (receiving an "allocation") or not being filled at all.

As a consequence, their shelves are empty of certain items. When the rural stores are able to put merchandise out, it's sold within 10 minutes.

source:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/really-perfe...083043435.html
    Here they are still getting enough. It's the big city asshats stripping the stores for 2 weeks until these folks put limits on nearly everything. So now locals are having to shop multiple times per week to feed their families instead of the once every 1-2w habit. It sucks!

Our little stores have had very minor disruptions. We are eating fine and get almost everything we ask for online. These stores are independent, larger than a convenience store, but priced lower.

My neighbor, who lives in another Vermont town most of the year, texted me to ask if sheriffs are driving around enforcing social distancing and I could only say "Who knows? I've been to the market 3 times in 2 weeks."

I have hit my regular "basic food" budget already because these supermarkets are more costly than chain stores or Costco, but I can steal the $200 from my "Splurge Food" budget and it's a wash.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Marion Co TN 26 confirmed cases, 1 death.
    I am shopping once a week during the 6am-7am senior time at Walmart.
    Husband goes out way to much. I've given up on talking to him about it.
    Daughter's hair salon closed and the liquor store next door still in business.
    Small businesses like hers will not survive if closed for too long.
    I am ready to take my chances if the other choice is living like this...…………..

At first my husband wasn’t taking it serious enough. I told him if I get it and die it’s his fault. Now he has been home for 5 weeks. That got through to him.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Our little stores have had very minor disruptions. We are eating fine and get almost everything we ask for online. These stores are independent, larger than a convenience store, but priced lower.

My neighbor, who lives in another Vermont town most of the year, texted me to ask if sheriffs are driving around enforcing social distancing and I could only say "Who knows? I've been to the market 3 times in 2 weeks."

I have hit my regular "basic food" budget already because these supermarkets are more costly than chain stores or Costco, but I can steal the $200 from my "Splurge Food" budget and it's a wash.
    Twice now this week I have noticed city police cars sitting obviously by our city park. I wonder if they have been instructed to periodically observe citizens in the Park to make sure appropriate distance is maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    I have noticed city police cars sitting obviously by our city park. I wonder if they have been instructed to periodically observe citizens in the Park to make sure appropriate distance is maintained.
    "To serve and protect"...

With cell phones it does not take much effort to get 10 guys together on an outdoor basketball court, when the weather is nice. I have seen a patrol officer get out of his car to speak to a group of basketballers. I did not hear what was said, but I imagine that the officer advised the players of the "safer at home" policy, and recommended that they all go home. The players left the park in 4 cars and on one bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    "To serve and protect"...

With cell phones it does not take much effort to get 10 guys together on an outdoor basketball court, when the weather is nice. I have seen a patrol officer get out of his car to speak to a group of basketballers. I did not hear what was said, but I imagine that the officer advised the players of the "safer at home" policy, and recommended that they all go home. The players left the park in 4 cars and on one bicycle.
    Here in the land of race politics, if you made that same statement on Nextdoor, there is a 50% chance it would be reported as racist.

We do not have a basketball court in our city park. Race politics.

AND....another dead RN. She insisted on testing but didn't meet "the criteria". They finally gave up and tested her 4d ago. Result had not been reported to her directly as she was found dead in her home yesterday. WTF

If you think there is sufficient testing, you are DEAD WRONG!

Thread Information