Thread: Dehydrating lemons?

Dehydrating lemons?

Our former csa still does veggie boxes from time to time and just sent an email that they are doing boxes for pickup at various sites in the city next week. I plan to order one. They are also offering bags of Meyer lemons. I’m not sure I can use a whole bag of Meyer lemons before they go bad, although I’m happy to hear suggestions. Barring that I’m also wondering about dehydrating them. What would one do with a bunch of dried lemons. Can I Just eat them like I do dried apples as a way to prevent scurvy in these trying times? Something else?

You can preserve them with salt! The end result is a lovely texture and a less acidic lemon taste (after you rinse the salt of course). Preserved lemons are often used in Moroccan cooking. These keep in your fridge for weeks/months. The general process is to quarter the lemons and pack in with sea salt in mason jars. Not difficult at all.

The other way I like to enjoy Meyer lemons is lemon curd, a thick jam like condiment , delicious on biscuits or scones or used as the base in a tart with fruit. Look for foolproof lemon curd- where you blend the ingredients first, then heat til thick about 10 minutes. There are other variations that are fussier, and risk "curdling" so I like the foolproof method.
    Last edited by herbgeek; 4-11-20 at 6:51am.

Yppej
    I slice them and sprinkle stevia on them, eating them as a desert. I would think you can preserve them as candied lemons also. I don't know what's involved in canning them into lemon juice. Is your climate warm enough you could use the seeds to start lemon trees?

I've never dehydrated lemons but this is what it says in Food Drying At Home The Natural Way by Bee Beyer:

Dry lemons like the directions for drying oranges:

Cross-Cut Slices: Slice whole orange, peel and all, 1/4 inch thick across fruit. Dry 12 to 24 hours or until hard. When eaten, fruit should not contain any pockets of liquid. The peel, which is normally bitter, will be much sweeter making the whole slice, peel and all, a snack which will please some, but not everybody. To make orange juice, remove center of the slice and puree in blender with water. Use 1/2 cup dried orange to 1 cup water.

Pieces: Cut away rind and white of fruit. Slice into 1/4 inch thick slices, then in wedges or pieces. Dry 12 to 24 hours or until hard and free of pockets of liquid. Delicious as a snack or may be pureed in blender with water for juice.

To Reconstitute: Soak 1/2 cup fruit in 1/2 cup water 1 or 2 hours or overnight until soft.

If you try this, I would love to know the results. Good luck!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I zest the lemons before squeezing the juice and freeze the result. I have done this to preserve for making lemon curd as mentioned above. My recipe calls for 3 lemons, juice and zest so that is what package I preserve.

Recently, I bought a Soda Stream to make carbonated water. I place about 3 Tbsp of prepared juice in a glass, add 2 packets of stevia and add chilled carbonated water. Makes a lovely lemonade. I don't like carbonated drinks but find a lightly carbonated and flavoured water quite delightful.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information