Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Telephone conversations: love 'em or hate 'em?

My phone bill is $100 or less a year, and when I was in school, we read a book called get your point across in 30 seconds or less.

I have been talking to friends much more often and the calls are long because they are replacing visits. I am a extrovert and knit while I talk.

I hate the telephone. My first job out of college was box office manager for a performing arts organization. 8 hours/day of talking on the phone nonstop. When email, and then texting, became things I was very happy. I have several people I text on a daily basis. Other than work related calls I have exactly one friend I talk to on the phone regularly (roughly once a week for about 30-45 minutes).

With the right person (there are maybe three of those in the world) I can talk on the phone for an hour, easy. Others, no. I spent too many years doing telephone tech support and phone meetings at work, so I don't generally like to talk on the phone. It's also harder to take a few moments to think of a response and I do like to think about my responses. And most people cannot stand silence so they plunge ahead saying somethinganything, which doesn't always foster progress in communication. Introvert. I would much rather use email. Or I'll text if I'm not stuck using the phone keyboard.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Introvert here. I see the phone as a tool. Not crazy about long conversations, and knowing I need to call someone just to chat (my turn to call, need to check in/check up with, etc) stresses me out for some strange reason. I DO call people, I'm just not real happy about it, and tend to put it off as long as possible. Which leads to MORE stress, lol....

I prefer email. I don't like text as well, mostly because of the tiny keys.

One of the things I love about having an iPhone and a MacBook is that I can link the two together. I can get texts on my MacBook, so I can text people with a regular keyboard. So much better!

I hate the phone at home. I'm an introvert and like to retreat to my cave. The only thing worse is the drop by.
    When I was at work I had to follow three different radio nets along with multiple phone lines. I did it with no problem but loved the sound of silence when I went home. Still, I would talk with a best friend (who would do house work and worse while talking) and my mom for a hour or so. My dad would do the drop by and I asked that he phone me and I had to pick up because he would call from my driveway saying he was dropping by and would be at my door within 15 seconds.
    Although we both have cellphones we don't carry them which aggravates people because they expect you to pick up no matter where you are and if you don't they text saying "Call me!!"
    Unless time is off the essence I prefer email or text which can be answered at convenience. Phone calls last, in person conversations first.
    I can't think of anything worse than Facetime or Skype. I've recently done two Zoom meetings with the screen off. AAuuuuughhhh

I don't mind phone conversations at all - depending on the person - lol. Love Skype for hanging out with my siblings and family. Everyone gets on and does whatever they want. Several do crafts, some do bills, some make meals - one sib completed installing a kitchen floor!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

There’s no one I talk to on the telephone anymore.

It’s probably been decades since I’ve talked, socially, on the telephone.

Probably the last person I talkEd to at some length on the phone would’ve been my mother but she died in the year 2010 and her brain was disintegrated five years before that so that’s how long it’s been since I talkEd to people on the phone. Outside of work.

Until the year I retired I was still having telephone conversations, that was work not social.

Introvert here, but I don't mind telephone conversations as long as they are not one-sided. It's nice to be asked how things are going in MY world too, not just hearing about their lives on end. My grandma used to go on and on, mostly about people I didn't even know. I could put the phone down and tend to a kid momentarily and pick it back up and she never knew.

I really only talk to a couple people on the phone socially. My sister can tend to be a one-sided talker, always talking about her grandkids on and on, doesn't ask me anything much. And oddly, I call HER most often to check in. The other is my daughter, but I don't really call to socialize as much as problem-solve, do calendar/grandkid stuff. We text alot. She doesn't care for the phone either.

During this shelter-in I have called one elderly friend and have about 1/2 hr. conversations once a week because I know she's going stir-crazy.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information