Thread: Trying to lower cell phone bill

Trying to lower cell phone bill

I've been all over Verizon's website to see if I can lower my cell phone bill. I have an iPhone 8 Plus that is paid for. I'm currently paying $20/month access charge and $65/month unlimited talk, text, data (includes unlimited talk & text to Canada - I have a number of friends up there, and none use FaceTime, What'sApp, Skype, etc). With taxes, bill is $90/month.

I went six months without home internet (just had it through phone), but got it about a month ago when it looked like we were going to have to work at home ($50/month). Now that I'm laid off and home all the time, I'm not using Verizon data. iPhone is on home wifi.

Looks like the only way I'd save on my bill is if I went to a prepaid plan.

Guess unlimited plans are the way everyone is going now.

My Verizon cell phone plan is $40/month, but its a prepaid plan. I have 2 GB data with this, that I never use up (because I have home internet).

MVNO plans (ie resellers of Verizon, Sprint, AT+T) are substantially cheaper.

I do total wireless, a 50$ prepaid for unlimited talk and text, and 25gb of data. Galaxy phone was 90 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by KnownRogue View Post
    I do total wireless, a 50$ prepaid for unlimited talk and text, and 25gb of data. Galaxy phone was 90 bucks.
    I have a paid off iPhone 8 plus. I don't do Android. I'm not switching phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Guess unlimited plans are the way everyone is going now.
    Not me! Our cable provider (Spectrum) has gotten into the re-seller business for their cable customers using Verizons towers. Their two plans are $14 per month unlimited text and talk with 1GB of data (if you go over it increases the cost by $14 per gig), or a $45 per month unlimited talk, text and data. My wife and I switched over to them a year or so ago and took advantage of their Bring Your Own Phone option. We now pay $28 per month for two lines and since we predominately use our home wifi have not yet gone over our data limits. We also get to share our cellular data so that if one of us uses 1.5 gigs and the other uses .5 gig, we don't go over our limit.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    My Verizon cell phone plan is $40/month, but its a prepaid plan. I have 2 GB data with this, that I never use up (because I have home internet).

MVNO plans (ie resellers of Verizon, Sprint, AT+T) are substantially cheaper.
    Thank you - I didn't know about MVNO plans! Boom Mobile has unlimited talk/text + 7GB data for $42.99/month. Seems to get good reviews. Think I'm going to make the switch. I'll save 50%, which is pretty good.

Just made the switch!

Tracfone sells some iphones so you may want to check to see if there is compatibility with their service.

Quote Originally Posted by artist View Post
    Tracfone sells some iphones so you may want to check to see if there is compatibility with their service.
    I’ve already switched.

Thread Information