Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dressmaking advice needed

Do you all know dressmakers? I do. I cannot imagine that my dressmaker friend who makes wonderful wedding dresses, would consent to doing “just the hard parts. “

I remember being in her studio and watching her whip through a gorgeous floaty silk charmeuse fabric that was for a super skinny bride. that look was couture.

If either/both zipper and buttons scare you, and she like boho, what about lacing down the back? Then you could tighten/loosen as needed.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I think you misunderstood me, Iris. I have hired seamstresses to do things like put a zipper in a child's jacket--things I don't trust my skill level for. Seamstress, not dressmaker.

Of course your friend would not want to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    If either/both zipper and buttons scare you, and she like boho, what about lacing down the back? Then you could tighten/loosen as needed.
    oh man, the fabric loops that would be needed are really hard to do IMO. Zipper would be much easier. The first time I needed to do an invisible zipper (4H age 14), I did it 3 practice times and then put it in my dress. LOVE LOVE LOVE basting stitch-so easy to pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think you misunderstood me, Iris. I have hired seamstresses to do things like put a zipper in a child's jacket--things I don't trust my skill level for. Seamstress, not dressmaker.

Of course your friend would not want to do this.
    maybe. I will bet my friend as a tailor puts plenty of zippers in jackets, so maybe she would do a specific thing on a dress, a zipper. By hard bits I was picturing more multiple tasks on one garment.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-13-20 at 6:44pm.

The hardest part of any of those dresses is going to be setting in the sleeves, IMHO. Zippers are easy, if you have a zipper foot. It will be crucial to have the correct thread for the fabric, then the correct needle for the thread.

Hand-baste the zipper before stitching. It takes a bit more time, but it will be worth it. I'd also hand-baste the set in sleeves.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I have made two wedding dresses, mine and my sister's plus a number of bridesmaids dresses.

Some recommendations: If you can get the dress form, that helps. I did not use a form, in my case I had my mom help and in my sister's case, she came over for fittings which wasn't real convenient.

Doing a test version in muslin is a good idea. BTW, you would not have to do the complete dress. You can just make one sleeve to get a sense of fit and length. Make your adjustments on the muslin and use as the pattern.

I used invisible zippers in both dresses. The special zipper foot you would need to purchase is inexpensive and I have found invisible zippers to be pretty foolproof as opposed to setting a standard zipper. You don't have to worry about outside stitching looking even which took me years to get right and even now I opt for an invisible zipper if I can.

If you go with bridal loops, you can purchase elastic bridal loops that make the job a lot easier. I used looping on the lace sleeves on both dresses. I had to make hand made loops on one bridesmaid dress, never again.

Hope that helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by saguaro View Post
    I have made two wedding dresses, mine and my sister's plus a number of bridesmaids dresses.

Some recommendations: If you can get the dress form, that helps. I did not use a form, in my case I had my mom help and in my sister's case, she came over for fittings which wasn't real convenient.

Doing a test version in muslin is a good idea. BTW, you would not have to do the complete dress. You can just make one sleeve to get a sense of fit and length. Make your adjustments on the muslin and use as the pattern.

I used invisible zippers in both dresses. The special zipper foot you would need to purchase is inexpensive and I have found invisible zippers to be pretty foolproof as opposed to setting a standard zipper. You don't have to worry about outside stitching looking even which took me years to get right and even now I opt for an invisible zipper if I can.

If you go with bridal loops, you can purchase elastic bridal loops that make the job a lot easier. I used looping on the lace sleeves on both dresses. I had to make hand made loops on one bridesmaid dress, never again.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Great tips! Thank you!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So, DD and I had a work session last night. We sketched the design, and chose the fabrics from a pile of swatches she bought from Mood (Project Runway reference--it was so cool getting the swatches in a little Mood bag!).

For you guys who are familiar with fabric. She has chosen a 2-ply silk organza. I was planning on adding an underlining. My question:

Should I have her buy 4-ply rather than 2-ply? The skirt will be slightly gathered--not completely straight. She will have a shiffli embroidered tulle lace overlay. We don't want it to have much structure, but we also don't want it to be see-through. Will the 2-ply be enough, if it has the underlining + the tulle overlay?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information