Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stimulus check question - what if you owed IRS $?

Stimulus check question - what if you owed IRS $?

We did not get a tax refund because we owed money. However, I paid the taxes through direct debit from my checking account.

I've searched everywhere and I cannot find an answer to my question. If you paid taxes through direct debit, will you get your stimulus check directly deposited? Does the IRS retain the checking account information if you paid that way? Does anyone here know?

Boy that is an interesting question. Even having worked at the IRS, I cannot advise. I would work from the premise that they do not save that kind of information and be pleasantly surprised if the check comes thru that way.

The IRS website has a place where you can input direct deposit info. Perhaps that might be something to do just in case.

I searched Turbo tax for an answer and got both yes and no. One "tax expert" said if you paid by direct debit you would get a direct deposit stimulus check, the other one said you would not, but would have to re-enter your bank info into the IRS website.

So I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    I searched Turbo tax for an answer and got both yes and no. One "tax expert" said if you paid by direct debit you would get a direct deposit stimulus check, the other one said you would not, but would have to re-enter your bank info into the IRS website.

So I guess I'll have to wait and see.
    Report back if you find anything out, Molly. I'm in the same boat and have wondered the same thing. I'm taking the pessimistic approach that I'll be one of the people who has to wait months and will get it mailed to me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The payment is based on what you did in 2018/2019. If you mailed a check, you'll get to wait for a paper check. If you have a bank account attached to your taxes, you'll get direct deposit.

This is my understanding.

Based on 2018, then the year I worked about 3 months of total, and qualified for every tax break imaginable almost (not earned income, not that destitute). Nice, no doubt I'm getting a check in that case
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    The payment is based on what you did in 2018/2019. If you mailed a check, you'll get to wait for a paper check. If you have a bank account attached to your taxes, you'll get direct deposit.

This is my understanding.
    I paid with direct debit both years. I sure hope I get direct deposit and don't have to wait for a paper check.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...mpact-payments

Molly, just enter your direct deposit details on the IRS website. You'd have to update it anyway, if you had changed banks.

I can't find anywhere on the website to enter direct deposit info for people who DID file last year, as we pay by paper check. DH's social security check is direct deposit.... filing JOINTLY we are seldom over 75K for TWO people, let alone one. However, when I went to the IRS site and clicked on Where's my check or whatever it says, it states that they are unable to verify eligibility. WTF??

Thread Information