Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daycare costs - does this seem right?

Daycare costs - does this seem right?

DD had the twins enrolled in a daycare a month or two before all this virus stuff started. Where she lives, stay at home has been extended will into May and they haven't been since early March. Even though closed, the daycare requires a monthly fee of $900 (roughly half) of their cost to hold their place. So they are now out for March, April and May or $2700 for no child care. Ouch, this just seems excessive for a situation no one knew was coming. DD may lose her job in the next two months so in the end, she may be a SAHM until she can find another job.

Yep, that sounds about right from what I'm hearing from friends.

Yes because they are trying to stay afloat too.

Yes, that doesn't sound unreasonable, although I don't believe my son is on the hook for their daycare for their 2 kids while this is going on. He was talking about how flush they feel because that huge expense isn't in their monthly budget this month.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So why can some business continue to bill for services not rendered while others cannot? Every small business would like to survive. The inequities are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    So why can some business continue to bill for services not rendered while others cannot? Every small business would like to survive. The inequities are huge.
    I don't know..I'll have to ask my sons if they're paying a "holding fee." My VT son's daycare is affiliated with the local YMCA. Not sure if that makes a difference.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Yppej
    One of my coworkers is paying a 50% holding fee. If there are wait times in your area to get a spot under normal circumstances do not be surprised.

Most child care centers will provide some type of policy documentation to the parents. You know, keep the kids home if ...fever, vomiting, etc.
    We provide...diapers, all meals, snacks only, etc.

So, something should be stated in the document about fees and placeholding.

That said, I've paid for care when my children are out for vacations. Longest was only three weeks though.

The daycare facilities have to meet expenses to retain their licence. 50% holding fee is not unusual. I thought the other grandparents were doing a lot of the daycare. I must be mistaken about that.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

DS#1 "We had to pay for the rest of March but April/future is on hold."
    DS#2 "The YMCA has been great. No payments since mid March. We’re feeling super rich right now."

That's my n=2 poll for you.

(ETA: one son is in NJ and one in VT, so that's also a pretty decent geographical dispersion)

Thread Information