Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Yppej
    Razz no one at work is making people wear masks, even the frontline workers which I am not. This thread is about masks in grocery stores. I do not work in a grocery store.

I think we were originally told not to wear masks due to supply issues, but it does make sense to me that the non-N95 masks are at least somewhat helpful. DH and I both have varying degrees of COPD, and I find some masks uncomfortable and make me feel like I'm being smothered. I have some "duckbill" style masks and those are much more comfortable. Yppej, you might want to suggest to your co-worker that she be on the lookout for that type of mask.
    "Mask shaming" kind of implies this is in the same category as shaming someone for physical characteristics they cannot help. I'm all for using social disapproval to encourage the appropriate behavior when it impacts the well-being of others.

Any mask, worn properly, is more protective than nothing.

Masks with nose adjusters and proper filters can be made that rival commercially-manufactured ones. YouTube has videos produced by doctors that give directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I looked at your CDC links Steve. The very first one states that wearing of cloth face coverings should be voluntary. The articles state N-95 masks should be saved for healthcare providers.
    They're Gardnr's links, but I'm just pointing that out. I haven't looked at them myself.

The first link is old. I wish TPTB had been more straightforward about the matter and flat out said, "N95 masks are better, but let's save them for now for people with greater front-line exposure." That could have been handled much better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The article I posted is by a scientist and professor with a doctorate. I doubt she is an anti-vaxxer and neither am I. Vaccines work. Cloth masks are a feel good measure that people are using to justify going out when they do not need to, which is the real risk. Go to Georgia and get a haircut, pedicure and tattoo and you'll be okay just wear a mask is the mindset.
    Coincidentally, as I write this, Ms. Brousseau was on a report the local news is showing on TV. Apparently her comment on today's news report is that she's not against the wearing of cloth masks but against the requirement to wear one.

I think we will have to agree to disagree here. I am not maintaining that a cloth mask is the equivalent of an N95; I'm not aware of any standup research that shows that it is. I believe a cloth mask is of some help in aspects of disease control -- enough that those benefits outweigh the inconvenience of wearing a mask and any perceived violation of rights that being required (or "shamed") by a business entity to wear one presents.

I have only a little idea of what's going on in the heads of Georgia's political leadership; I believe it comes down to a relative comparison of the value of human life and the value of a fully-functioning economy (disconcerting given the emphasis by many in the same group on human life at pre-viable phases). I do not believe slapping on a cloth mask makes it possible to fling open the doors of a comatose economy. I will concede that there's much we don't know about how to manage the risks of this coronavirus.

I will wear a mask in public. I believe its value to everyone outweights the expense to me. I realize we won't all make that same decision.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

In a mask-making video, the doctor tested his finished product similarly to the way N95 masks are--by trying to smell bacon through it. (Medical tests involve a sugar substitute). It passed. That's good enough for me.

There are many reasons that people may have difficulty wearing masks. I agree with Yppj, it's a good idea to keep this mind as we are out in the world looking about at our fellow human beings as we all suffer through a difficult time. A good time to try to avoid shaming.

The data available and the supply chain both are highly fluid. Therefore the recommendations change, sometimes on a daily basis. This is the case in my hospital as well. It’s difficult for people to accept this, as they believe it means they are being misled. The truth is that no one knows many things about this new virus, so the recommendations will change. Lots of unknown variables.

People believing they are being misled by stuff coming from our Federal government which is under Trump at this point is not entirely irrational (under Trump! some valid info my get through of course from Fauci and the like, but under Trump! Really nuff said!!!). However what I've read on masks is things like a surgical mask protects from 60-80%, and that's a surgical mask not an N95, so saying only N95s protect just seems wrong. Even a 2 layer cotton bandana protects to some degree I've seen 18%. I have to say I don't think the smell test is a valid one though.
    Trees don't grow on money

Medical personnel have to fit their masks to their face in some kind of chamber, and then a sugar substitute is piped in. If they can taste it, the mask isn't fitted properly. At least that's what I've read.

Wearing a mask is a small thing that might help. No reason not to do it.

Thread Information