Page 54 of 66 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

I remember reading some time ago that we should prepare for high prices on avocados. Today I saw organic ones for $3.50 ea. However in another section they had the regulars on special for 4/$5.

How are they in your areas?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

The problem with avocados got we’re out. They are back to normal price at the Safeway by us. I can regularly get them on sale for $1 each.

Our Safeway had them for .75 each but mostly I see them for 1.25 or higher at groceries. They used to be a staple for us but the higher prices are making them scarce at our house.

Not necessarily avocados, but I am noticing a couple more of the "old" sale prices on some things lately. For example, fresh broccoli crowns for .88/lbs, tomatoes .99/lb. I hope it is a good sign!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I saw 99 cents strawberries around Easter at Jewel (big grocery chain). I’m just about out the door to shop at Jewel. It’s been two weeks. Going to pay close attention to egg and cheese prices as I’ve seen reports on FB that those are really high some places.

Cheese has gone up here. We buy the sliced store brand and it used to be $6/lb. A few weeks ago it went up to $7. And more exotic cheese like fresh mozzarella and parmesan is through the roof.

Yppej
    Finally found lima beans. Bought lots of seaweed which was at the pre-pandemic price. Got two hardboiled eggs rather than buy an overpriced dozen. It's more per unit but I don't have to cook them.

Store-hopping is a thing now to look for lower prices. We go out every Wednesday morning to several stores and pick up things on sale as we have always done. Our grocery expenses last month were $25 higher but might have been that $25 bag of Gulf shrimp we couldn't do without. Sprouts marks down meat fairly regularly and I observed a woman scoop up about 20 packages (all of them) of chicken breast. She could have left a little for someone else but these high prices seem to activate the scarcity gene in some people.

Major score today. 2 for 1 family packs of boneless chicken breasts. One pair per customer. So I texted SO and told him to swing by and get a pair as well since we eat a lot of chicken. $33 saved!

That is a nice score, jp!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information