Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

I've settled into a two week shopping adventure and have started to like it as a time saver. I accumulate a list between times and take a pencil to check off things. I hit a smaller market and a chain supermarket that have open floor plans and where I knew where most things are and can be done in about an hour. I've not noticed if the stores are still offering senior hours but it's never crowded early and the aisles are marked with one way directions. Everyone has to wears masks. I buy my senior allotment of beer at the supermarket which saves a trip to the liquor store. There is usually something fresh in my small garden.

Today was shopping day. I've watched for a jar of baker's yeast and also rubbing alcohol for a couple of months with no luck. One store was out of baking powder and baking soda. Maybe a little forewarning to have flour on hand before cool weather baking season. Plenty of rice, but I've not seen my usual brand of brown rice for a long time. Hand sanitizer, but the supplies were thin. There are still holes in the shelves of something or another.

I noticed today the supermarket had a sign up for flu shots. I can imagine a rush on flu shots and shortages. I wonder if it i too early to get the shot an have immunity through flu season?

Even if I were bullish on flu shots, I wouldn't get one this year--I figure masks, quarantine, and social distancing work for all communicable diseases.

I would never pass up a flu shot. Just one more precaution. We get them either at the grocery store (Kroger pharmacy) or I make a call to the doctor's office.

I’ve had patients who have been positive for both covid and influenza at the same time. Also strep throat and covid at the same time.

This is not the year to skip the flu shot.

Oh I'll get one, I don't want to mistake stupid old flu symtoms for covid.
    Trees don't grow on money

I've never had a flu shot, and I'm not likely to be exposed to the flu--or anything else--any time soon. I may have had the flu 25 years ago. Or maybe it was a cold.

Last time DH and I got a flu shot we both got the flu. What was the effectiveness last year? Something like 29%... put all that garbage in your body every year!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Last time DH and I got a flu shot we both got the flu. What was the effectiveness last year? Something like 29%... put all that garbage in your body every year!
    So, if the phase three trials for Covid prove safe and effective, I think the Moderna trial is the furthest along and will involve 30,000 test subjects and there have been larger trials proposed for others that are close to phase 3, would the naysayers for the flu shot get a Covid shot? I could be fact checked, but I think the criteria for effectiveness is something like 50% reduction in infections or severity of symptoms relative to the unvaccinated control group. Possibly not much difference than the flu shot at it's minimum.

I have given up on trying to convince anti-vaxxers of anything. I say things once. Life is too short to waste my breath. So I’m done with this topic.

Cheers!

For those who are saying they won't get the Covid shot, I ask if they will get the new shingles shot. Two doses, costs about $350, maybe a bit less. Often covered by insurance. 90% effective and if you get shingles, it will reduce the severity. Shingles can have long lasting effects. If it gets in your eye, you will lose sight. I know a lot of people who still won't get it.

Thread Information