Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

As an experiment, I will try growing some veggies from 25 cent Dollar Tree seeds I bought yesterday. Many are marked "heritage" which I assume means heirloom strains. They had plenty but sell out quickly. The flowers I grew from their seed last year did better than expensive seeds from elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    In 2020, people were clearing packets of seeds out of stores much earlier than usual and attempting to grow their own when they saw the empty shelves in March and April.

Seed suppliers increased the seeds available in early 2021.
    The reality of the effort that is required to grow one's own modified people's behaviour in 2021 and they focused more on started plants but had a very limited choice in variety. It will be interesting to see how the community approaches gardening in 2022.
    I do think that people did discover the joy of growing even if limited to small spaces or pots. Heritage seeds have a special group of supporters working to support and protect the varieties available. I did this for a number of years but now am limiting my efforts to heritage tomatoes and green beans.
    Which seeds caught your attention, Roger?
    I plant some common hybrid type varieties of a few things, but when my garden starts producing, a lot of those things are inexpensive at the stores or farmer's markets. So, I plant heirloom varieties some to add variety in the diet, plus I just like garden experiments. For example, I have trouble growing heirloom tomatoes that are not disease resistant, but I think they taste better, or as good but different. So I try, but I also plant the usual better boy types. Last year, the big organic heirloom tomatoes were going for around $6.00 a pound at the local produce market.

Anyway, I ordered "scarlet runner" bean seeds after a friend gave me some for cooking. They are quite different from any bean I've tasted from common supermarket type beans. Native to the mountains of Mexico and South America. They are supposed to produce showy red blossoms to attract humming birds and bees, that later produce bean pods. It will be an experiment, but my friend has had success and even sends some out as presents. I would also like to try some old heritage squash varieties this year, yet to be determined. And, I don't know if they are exactly heirloom but usually try different sizes and colors of eggplant.

On another forum someone said groceries have doubled in price. Prices are higher here but nowhere near double. For families the higher prices will be noticed.

Doubled? Nope.

I might go 10-20% over a year ago for the things I buy.

Anyone try growing summer poinsettias from seed? Looks like an interesting plant??

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Anyone try growing summer poinsettias from seed? Looks like an interesting plant??
    I have not but I am fascinated by poinsettias because of my one from last year--he is huge and bloomed beautifully after being sticks in my parents' assisted living, all leaves dropped. It seems like a miracle plant, so I will be interested to hear about your progress. where do you get the seeds. or are you getting them from your plant?

Worked the day shift today as school was closed to teachers, students and other staff, so I had time to stop at Aldi's on the way home. Wanted to pick up some of the coffee that we enjoy and was initially told it was out of stock. Found it! Got four! As well as a few other things, of course, but.....
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Worked the day shift today as school was closed to teachers, students and other staff, so I had time to stop at Aldi's on the way home. Wanted to pick up some of the coffee that we enjoy and was initially told it was out of stock. Found it! Got four! As well as a few other things, of course, but.....
    . .
    Happy Stuff - what coffee do you like at Aldi? I buy the yellow bricks of Cafe Bustelo.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Can't let the coffee be lonely on the trip home!

Thread Information