Page 35 of 66 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Made a big batch of chicken noodle soup in the Instant Pot over the weekend. Got a big serving I ate right when it was done and then five other smaller servings I put in fridge/freezer. Two large chicken thighs, pound of carrots, entire package of celery, one large yellow onion, entire bunch of parsley. Added half package of egg noodles I already had. Need to figure out how much it came to for ingredients.

Prices have went up and I shop at the cheapest store which is Winco. I eat 93% lean hamburger and it’s up to 5.88/lb. I wanted filet mignon and it was 20/lb. But it was 2 meals for me and one for my son with sides. The 2 of us spend between 350-400/month. He is leaving for 3 months so I figured it will cost me about 150/month because he eats more than me. When younger I had to watch the food budget but now I am going to eat what I want. I used to eat filet mignon out once a year but now it’s 50 and I won’t pay that.

Since covid is the rage, I can’t spend money on travel or other crowd related activities. So, I am not going to be frugal about the cost of food and eat what I want.

The cat food shortage seems to be getting worse. For some months now, we've had to go to 4 different stores (plus Chewy) to source what we need. Now even Chewy is out of a lot of items. Last week, I found one of the flavors most preferred by our furry little overlords at Stop & Shop. I bought several cans, but didn't clean them out because I know others must be in the same boat. I'm worried that media attention to this shortage will create somewhat of a buying frenzy, so I am trying to stock up to some degree, while still being considerate of others. You just can't explain to a cat that he needs to eat it and like it, lol.
    boys in their donut bed.jpg
    me-my cat.jpg

Cute and funny. RR. So far my dog food supplier who also delivers to my door has been consistent and reliable for which I am very grateful.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've heard cat food is in short supply, though your adorable overlords seems blissfully unaware.

Yppej
    I am so glad my mother taught me about substitutions when I was growing up. When cooking I am using these more and more.

Love those pictures! I had a bit of a problem, a few weeks ago, but last shopping trip, the shelves had what I normally buy. I'll see how things are on this week's trip.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Your bosses are super cute!!

Just got back from shopping and, yes, the canned - and even some of the bagged - cat food was limited or gone. I picked up another bag of dry for my cats, but what was left of the canned was waaayyyyy expensive.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information