Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

I’m heading back to Aldi this weekend. Jewel, local Chicago area chain, has gotten two expenses. Bagels are $2-$2.50 cheaper at Aldi, for example.

Yesterday I did our weekly grocery shopping which isn’t always weekly. It’s more like every 10 -12 days. I threw a few processed food/luxury items in the I cart wouldn’t normally buy.

Still, the entire haul was under $100. I continue to be shocked at how much cheaper our local grocery store is since a new company took it over.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-23-24 at 10:43am.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yesterday I did our weekly grocery shopping which isn’t always weekly. It’s more like every 10 -12 days. I threw a few things into the cart I threw a few processed foid/luxury items inthe cart wouldn’t normally buy.

Still, the entire haul was under $100. I continue to be shocked at how much cheaper our local grocery store is since a new company took it over.
    While slightly higher than the past couple of weeks, the other day's bill was still under $100. And it did include cat food and litter - always big expenditures these days.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Happy: You must be very disciplined, because we can seldom get under $100 and we are only 2 adults and 2 cats, and we get a lot of our cat supplies from Chewy. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Happy: You must be very disciplined, because we can seldom get under $100 and we are only 2 adults and 2 cats, and we get a lot of our cat supplies from Chewy. Good job!
    Thanks. I guess it is what we eat and don't eat. No or little red meat is a biggie. And I try for as few processed foods as possible - although a frozen pizza will sneak into the cart every now and then.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

duplicate

I went to Aldi today. $53 for a whole bunch of stuff. I’d have spent at least $15 more at Jewel. I’m going to keep going there. I love my bagels. The Thomas brand is $5.50 at Jewel. Aldi version is $1.95 and tastes the same. Why wouldn’t you want to save money? I keep seeing people being brand/store snobs. Even if you want to go elsewhere for meat, the basics of dairy, bread, eggs, canned/frozen veggies are so cheap. Plus getting in and out of the store quickly.

Aldi receipt today

IMG_0551.jpg

Nice shopping! If I can ask, how long will that last you? A week? Two? Just curious. I tend to shop every week, but what I actually buy may vary.

I don't understand the brand/store preferences either. I do think some brands taste different and that is a good reason for possibly a more expensive choice - but not just because of brand id.

I agree, Tradd - we love Aldi. that said, yesterday we plunked down a huge chunk of change at Trader Joe's - which we call Aldi Upgraded, lol. Some of our regular buys are a tad cheaper at TJs than Aldi - and I really like their salad dressing, deli turkey and their brie selection much better. (Oh - and I bought plants! Love their plants!) But most of our staple food products come from Aldi. We are feeding four adults on a low-carb diet and it's not cheap. Just to clarify - we are not following a named diet or eating plan, just watching our carb and sugar intake and cutting what we reasonably can. Sadly, most inexpensive foods are very carb-heavy - potatoes and pasta are seldom eaten here. We eat mostly chicken, veggies, eggs, cheese and dairy, fish, and fresh fruits. We still eat too much bread/rolls/etc. I don't know what we'd do with no Aldi. Probably weigh less and be hungry, lol.

Thread Information