Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Nice shopping! If I can ask, how long will that last you? A week? Two? Just curious. I tend to shop every week, but what I actually buy may vary.

I don't understand the brand/store preferences either. I do think some brands taste different and that is a good reason for possibly a more expensive choice - but not just because of brand id.
    The was fill in the holes shopping. I expect I’ll get at least a week out of it, maybe more. I have a lot at home that needed things added to it.

Even thought I got rid of Prime, there are still a few food items I’ll order from Amazon, 10 pk box of tuna pouches is one, plus my cans of Progresso chicken noodle or veggie soup. Much cheaper that way.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    We are feeding four adults on a low-carb diet and it's not cheap. Just to clarify - we are not following a named diet or eating plan, just watching our carb and sugar intake and cutting what we reasonably can. Sadly, most inexpensive foods are very carb-heavy - potatoes and pasta are seldom eaten here. We eat mostly chicken, veggies, eggs, cheese and dairy, fish, and fresh fruits. We still eat too much bread/rolls/etc.
    No kidding. We're spending roughly double what we were spending a year ago before I got my diabetes diagnosis and subsequent diet changes. Thankfully we can afford the change. And I also acknowledge what I'd read over the years. I'm less hungry and generally have more energy now that I eat so much less carbs. When I had a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast every weekday morning I was ready for lunch by 10:30. Now, with a small bowl of plain yogurt and frozen fruit, I can go until noon or later without a struggle. I like the taste of carbs and spaghetti with a good marinara will forever be one of my favorite dishes (it has been since I was a little kid. Mom often made it as my birthday dinner.) But for the rest of my life they will be very much a "sometimes" treat, not a several times a week routine habit.

I've also found some substitutes that are actually pretty enjoyable. There's not a huge variety, but bread and tortilla manufacturers have made low-carb bread and tortilla products that are actually pretty good. Especially the low carb tortillas that are almost indistinguishable from the normal ones, except for the price. The bread/bagel products tend to have a slightly weird consistency that isn't as good, but I'll take it over abandoning bread altogether. I have no idea what they do to jack up the fiber content but it works for the most part.

Just did a grocery store run for the week and kept it at $75. I'm very happy!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Prices the last few months seem to have stabilized and I've gotten used to a new price level without any big sticker shock. It even seems like meat prices have come down. I did get set back a bit on the last outing over olive oil and coffee with what seemed like substantial recent jumps. It could be too small a sample size to say for sure.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

The coffee I order from Porto Rico coffee co. went from 12 99 a lb. to 16.99. It's fair trade, organic.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Just did a grocery store run for the week and kept it at $75. I'm very happy!
    That’s great.

okay---made a run to aldi's for catt food & vegetable oil, and guess what? they've resumed carrying "chef's cupboard" brand onion suop mix! yup. the sign on the shelf said "new item". but no---before the covid thing, they handled it, but not for several years, now. so anyway---i grabbed several boxes of it, to stock up. see--i'm tired o' paying $2 a box for brand x at the other groc store. hope that helps you some. thankk mee.

Went to Safeway today and they had the 2 lb bags of frozen jumbo shrimp on sale. $8. Down from the normal $20! I got two. When I mentioned it to SO after I got home he was like ‘I got two also.’ I guess we’ll be eating a lot of shrimp the next few weeks!

Dang, that is a REALLY good price.

Thread Information