Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My longest single shift was 39 hours. In a different field but lots and lots of folks work essential jobs, maybe even Yppej. The worst part of it was the half hour drive home since no one should drive after being up that long.
    No way on earth anyone should work 39 hours giving patient care. On your feet at a dead run responsible for lives? Nope! 22hours was bad enough and my surgeon asked to get me relieved.

What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    No way on earth anyone should work 39 hours giving patient care.
    I routinely do 72 hour shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I have a friend that works for the fire department who does the same. I guess it’s common in the field. 3 on and 4 off. I guess it’s nice to be paid to sleep as obviously they don’t work 72 hours straight. He cuts grass on his days off.

I don’t understand the need to keep them at the station like that. Does it keep the amount of personnel down? Since they only work on call?

ive worked a few 25-30 hour shifts and no way was I as sharp at the end as the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    72hours straight patient care? No breaks, no rest? That is so unsafe.

I went to the largest grocery store today during early hours. I have never seen it so slow. I asked the checkout clerk and he said he thought it was because of the protests in the city and COVID. Also, worrisome was many empty places on the shelves and on some of the shelves it said "temporarily unavailable by manufacturer" with just a few things on the shelf. I was checking the reduced dairy (only a few days from expiration) and the gal stocking said that those items were temporarily unavailable from the manufacturer as well. I stocked up for, hopefully, a month. I believe there are going to be shortages based on the shutdowns and COVID spike. I sure hope I am wrong!

I fear how long the lines at the supermarket are going to be pretty soon, as people are unable to grocery shop after work due to curfews. So will supermarkets that already have long covid lines (due to enforcing some social distancing), have even longer lines come the weekend if they don't let us buy groceries before then? I mean the curfews are hitting so early that if people don't work from home (luckily many still are, that's a saving grace that many of us are not back at the office) they can barely get home before the curfew as is.
    Trees don't grow on money

Our curfew was only 2 nights and our stores are full of food.

I put in another Amazon Fresh order, and the only item they were out of was a container of mini-peppers.
    I could get used to this...

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Our curfew was only 2 nights and our stores are full of food.
    We have another night of curfew to go (10 pm to 4 am). If there was no looting or fire at a store, it's open now.

I shopped at Aldi today and did not encounter much in the way of out-of-stocks. Plenty of toilet paper and paper towels. I'm convinced they never carried disinfectant wipes so I've quit looking there. Limits on canned meat but not fresh/frozen meat (different from past visits). People still are just as clueless as ever about one-way aisles. The store was fairly empty for 10 am on a weekday, though, so it wasn't that hard to avoid them, and I was in and out in an hour with more than I should have bought. Ready for another two weeks except for some sage and some pumpkin seeds (one a we-don't-carry and another we're-out).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

The curfews are starting at 5 or 6pm daily now, yes that's right, and it's on the forth day. So that why I say people can't even grocery shop as as soon as work is done curfew starts. And I've given more than thought to subsisting on emergency rice and beans if everything else becomes too much bother.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information