Page 36 of 67 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am so glad my mother taught me about substitutions when I was growing up. When cooking I am using these more and more.
    Yes, we humans can learn to be flexible but cats??? No way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am so glad my mother taught me about substitutions when I was growing up. When cooking I am using these more and more.
    Likewise and likewise, and creating what we call in our house "medleys of leftovers."

Dogs are more flexible than cats).

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yes, we humans can learn to be flexible but cats??? No way!!!
    Lol.

This is just kind of a comment on local first world problems, grocery store edition. In my area, a new Amazon Fresh store will be opening soon, and there is talk of another major grocery store soon to arrive in the area. On local social media, there are so many comments to the effect that we really need a Market Basket. Now almost off the top of my head (although I did check distances online), we have 2 MBs within 5 miles and then another 5 within 10 miles. We have 3 Stop and Shops within 5 miles. In my actual zip code, there is one full-service grocery store and another four stores that carry a good amount of groceries. I wasn't up to expending the amount of time it would take to do a full inventory, but I'll bet there are more than 50 grocery stores within a half-hour drive of my home. What an embarrassment of riches! How spoiled can we be that there there is a perceived "need" for a Market Basket? I guess some people can never be happy.

It is a 'problem' in my world as well. So many grocery stores, butchers, bakers and local farmers and several weekly indoor markets as well.
    Talk about pharmacies - within my small town of under 20,000, there are about 10 pharmacies some of which offer some groceries and many personal care products as well. Within a 1/2 hour drive, there are another 10 at least. How do they all survive? This has puzzled me for a long time.

Funny, until this thread made me reflect, I really had not examined the wealth of services on hand. Thanks RR. People have commented how small communities are usually so limited in services but for much of the essentials of daily life, my community is pretty well equipped. We take things for granted so often, don't we?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    We take things for granted so often, don't we?
    So true! While not groceries, I was thinking about this as I made my coffee this morning. I could hear the furnace working and realized I was decently warm and comfortable (we do keep our heat lower than most people). Then I saw that it was actually 10 degrees! I am so grateful and appreciative for the comfort I have, even though I usually take it for granted.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We have no grocery stores in our zip code, the closest for us is 15 minutes away, next is 25 minutes away. If we go 30-40 minutes we have lots of choices. We were so happy when the 15 minute away one opened! Plus in that little town we can go to the library, bank, get a hair cut, liquor store, Dollar store, butcher, 2 drug stores,2 gas stations so we go there often.

I just ordered some heirloom bean seeds from Seed Savers and their web site said to expect a couple of weeks delay due to high volume sales. I wonder if people are stocking up for shortages or high prices by garden planning? Could be they are recovering from the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I just ordered some heirloom bean seeds from Seed Savers and their web site said to expect a couple of weeks delay due to high volume sales. I wonder if people are stocking up for shortages or high prices by garden planning? Could be they are recovering from the holidays.
    In 2020, people were clearing packets of seeds out of stores much earlier than usual and attempting to grow their own when they saw the empty shelves in March and April.

Seed suppliers increased the seeds available in early 2021.
    The reality of the effort that is required to grow one's own modified people's behaviour in 2021 and they focused more on started plants but had a very limited choice in variety. It will be interesting to see how the community approaches gardening in 2022.
    I do think that people did discover the joy of growing even if limited to small spaces or pots. Heritage seeds have a special group of supporters working to support and protect the varieties available. I did this for a number of years but now am limiting my efforts to heritage tomatoes and green beans.
    Which seeds caught your attention, Roger?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information