Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

95% of the people shopping in our stores have masks on.

There are guards now at the door keeping people out if they do not have masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    95% of the people shopping in our stores have masks on.

There are guards now at the door keeping people out if they do not have masks.
    We have security regulating the number in the store at any point in time. When I went in last night, the security had no concerns as the numbers were so low. If I wear a mask I must take out my hearing aids so I don't use a mask and go when the number is very low.
    I just checked and discovered that one grocery chain not in my area is requiring masks of anyone wishing to enter. I believe that these stores are in high density areas.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    We have security regulating the number in the store at any point in time. When I went in last night, the security had no concerns as the numbers were so low. If I wear a mask I must take out my hearing aids so I don't use a mask and go when the number is very low.
    I just checked and discovered that one grocery chain not in my area is requiring masks of anyone wishing to enter. I believe that these stores are in high density areas.
    Would a tie-on mask work for you? I hear they're more comfortable than other styles.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Would a tie-on mask work for you? I hear they're more comfortable than other styles.
    Thanks, Jane, for the suggestion. I have looked online for instructions fo a mask that does not rest on the ear and the tie-ons may be easier than the elastic loops that tug on the ear. I have the arms from my vision glasses as well so there is little room for anything extra. I have thought that Dado's suggestion of a tubelike mask with an extra layer added inside might work.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Thanks, Jane, for the suggestion. I have looked online for instructions fo a mask that does not rest on the ear and the tie-ons may be easier than the elastic loops that tug on the ear. I have the arms from my vision glasses as well so there is little room for anything extra. I have thought that Dado's suggestion of a tubelike mask with an extra layer added inside might work.
    Maybe that--something like a balaclave--with a pocket inside to hold a filter.

Seems to fit better here than in other threads; upthread we were discussing how sad it was that raw materials designated for food service were going to waste when consumers would buy it if they could. Kroger is purchasing 200,000 gallons of raw milk and will be processing it for food banks.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Ground Beef and fresh pork cuts are becoming more scarce.

Kroger announced (in Ohio and Wisconsin, and maybe elsewhere) the grocery stores they own would set limits of 2 purchases per customer., effective May 1. By limiting the purchases of each customer, Krogers' hope is that shoppers will not be panic-stricken by empty shelves in the meat section of their stores.

Costco is limiting purchases of beef, pork and poultry to 3 items per customer.

Wal-Mart reportedly is limiting the variety of cuts of fresh meat available in stores, rather than placing a limit on customer purchases.

Cannot remember if I already mentioned this, but we ordered a delivery of meat and seafood from a local restaurant supply company that had a special offer for non-commercial customers. Our freezer is packed.

I've been on a shopping schedule of going every two or three weeks and today was my day. My city requires everyone entering a public business to wear a mask and everyone was compliant. People seemed a little more relaxed about social distancing than my last trip. I went to both Sprouts and Safeway. Neither were especially busy at my early shopping hour. Safeway actually had a reasonable selection of flours for the first time in over a month. Both had purchase limits on meats but the shelves seemed well stocked. Being mostly vegan I've not noticed any shortages of meatless or dairy free alternatives. It was also the first time I've noticed that the egg shelves were well supplied.

My Grocery Shopping Adventure is to order ALL groceries on line using Instacart and have everything delivered to my front door.

Thread Information