Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Yppej
    I am a big believer in vaccines and will get one for covid when the time comes.

Vaccines are one of the biggest miracles in all of medicine. I will absolutely get a covid shot.

I didn’t go to the doctor for something like 15 years. But even then I planned to get a shingles shot. I recently start going to the doctor and got all of those inoculations—shingles double shot, pneumonia, flu, even though the flu shot is not especially effective. But this is not a year to fuss around with it.

I would consider getting the COVID vaccine--the virus has demonstrated an unacceptably high morbidity and mortality rate. But I'd want to be pretty sure of its effectiveness before I did. I'm not at high risk of contracting it or the flu at this point.

I looked up the CDC update for the 2020-2021 flu vaccinations. They are saying August is too early to get the shot and have lasting immunity through the season, especially for older people. They are saying to wait until September or October, and that even January is not too late as long as the virus is circulating. Naturally it is new and improved, but I don't think they are perfect in predicting the strains that will prevail. My local pharmacies ran out of the senior vaccine last year and there was a long wait or the choice of getting the vaccine for younger people. I anticipate there will be a rush this year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-f...-2020-2021.htm

I get some vaccines and not others. I never get the flu shots but do get the pneumonia shot. I can’t take the shingles shot because I am severely allergic to one of the ingredients. My husband had shingles in his eye and got lucky. We have been trying to get him the vaccine but they are always out. For the virus I will take a wait and see attitude watching for side effects, effectiveness, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    For those who are saying they won't get the Covid shot, I ask if they will get the new shingles shot. Two doses, costs about $350, maybe a bit less. Often covered by insurance. 90% effective and if you get shingles, it will reduce the severity. Shingles can have long lasting effects. If it gets in your eye, you will lose sight. I know a lot of people who still won't get it.
    I am thinking of getting this shot. It is a one time shot and has a high protection rate. I am not thrilled with shots every year that continually add to your system and are not remotely effective.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I am thinking of getting this shot. It is a one time shot and has a high protection rate. I am not thrilled with shots every year that continually add to your system and are not remotely effective.
    There are TWO doses, four months apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I get some vaccines and not others. I never get the flu shots but do get the pneumonia shot. I can’t take the shingles shot because I am severely allergic to one of the ingredients. My husband had shingles in his eye and got lucky. We have been trying to get him the vaccine but they are always out. For the virus I will take a wait and see attitude watching for side effects, effectiveness, etc.
    If you haven't already, check with some different places on the Shingrix. We kept checking with Costco and they were always out, then we asked at Stop & Shop one day and they said they had never had any supply issues. I got my vaccine at Costco with my mother before there were supply issues, but wanted DH to have one too, so he got his at S&S.

We got ours at Sam's Club, no issues with availability and both rounds were 100% covered by insurance.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information