Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

I have been doing pick-up for a few months but was unexpectedly off yesterday so I decided to just go in. Shelves looked pretty good. One brand of cereal was completely out. Two kinds of cinnamon rolls were out. Some types of meat were low stocked. I think it was more about trucks delivery than hoarding. I have always been able to find substitutions for items or have gone to a different store to pick up the couple of items that my regular store was out of completely. Like @rosarugosa, I shop with a list and stick to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I don't call mine a "needful things" list, but I do have something similar. I shop so infrequently that if I don't write those types of things down, I forget all about them until I need them again.
    I'm a big Stephen King fan, lol.

I think it’s very regional and depends on which store you’re shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I think it’s very regional and depends on which store you’re shopping.
    Yea, I don't think we are that badly hit with shortages (though it's not zero), so I definitely think there is a regional component. But some stores, aren't adequately stocked, but that's store specific. And the quality of basic things like meat and produce has declined almost across the board.

The idea of going shopping without a set list of items that one plans to buy boggles my mind.
    I've done it some prior to the pandemic, there have been times when I would go to the store a few times a week. I thought what do I want to eat the next few days and bought that, but the pandemic and I started doing once a week shopping and still largely do, and that's just too hard to do without a list. But with shortages it's hard to shop with a list too, you plan out the meals and then a bunch of stuff is out. Okay then, won't be having that meal. So you end up improvising at the store anyway just as you would have to without a list! And you may have meticulously planned, but we plan, supply chain/staff shortages/covid/climate change etc. laughs.
    Trees don't grow on money

When we lived in the city we had a Safeway across the street. I tended to go 3-4 times a week and a mental list was sufficient. Now that I have to drive to the store I use the reminders app on my phone and have a running list.

When I mentioned always having a list for shopping I was actually thinking more of other stores. I canít imagine going to target and browsing. If I am going there itís because I need some specific thing(s) so I walk in, go to the thing department and then to the cash register and then Iím out of there. Or even better I order the item online for same day pickup and then go to the online pickup counter just inside the front door, get the item and leave.

Jut returned from a shopping trip at one of the big chains here since their strike has ended. Haven't been in a month or so and prices are noticeably higher. Still no crackers or cat litter. Another thing we noticed is a continued shrinking of size or contents. We sometimes buy a grainy, seedy bread and the size of each slice has shrunk an inch so that it is almost funny. I told DH he needs to start making crackers - it can't be that hard.

We can get cat sand and Pet Smart was well stocked with wet cat food. Kroger and our big box stores were down 90%.

JP: I actually almost never go to Target. From what I hear, a lot of people (mostly women), find Target absolutely irresistible, but Target just doesn't do it for me. I can enjoy a good browse at Marshall's or TJ Maxx if I'm in the mood to browse, but I don't do that so much anymore. I try to find more fulfilling uses of my time, but DSIS loves to shop and I love to spend time with DSIS, and I don't dislike shopping, so I can certainly get sucked in. We've concluded that since DSIS moved closer to me, I shop more and she drinks more wine.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    JP: I actually almost never go to Target. From what I hear, a lot of people (mostly women), find Target absolutely irresistible, but Target just doesn't do it for me. I can enjoy a good browse at Marshall's or TJ Maxx if I'm in the mood to browse, but I don't do that so much anymore. I try to find more fulfilling uses of my time, but DSIS loves to shop and I love to spend time with DSIS, and I don't dislike shopping, so I can certainly get sucked in. We've concluded that since DSIS moved closer to me, I shop more and she drinks more wine.
    If it were my DSIS Iíd skip the shopping part but tell her to come over after or meet me somewhere after and we could have wine while she shows me her purchases! That would be a much better plan for me.

Pinky, I make my own crackers sometimes...but I end up being the only one who will eat them. Store-bought they are not. But they're ok.

We've recently become hardcore coupon clippers. It does offset the increasing prices. We don't go looking for them like many hyper couponers, but just utilize the ones that come out in the newspaper store ads.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information