Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Grocery shopping this morning and my favorite whole wheat flour was, again, out of stock. There were other brands there, so I don't think there is a shortage going on. Other than that, I'm not seeing any deficits starting up again. I do see prices still rising here and there. Not much, but still going up. Some folks still masking in the store, others not. Most everyone still wipes down their carts - at least that I have seen when entering/exiting.
    Lots of shortages here in Maine; note to self shop only in the morning.
    Do not see anyone wiping carts anymore.

I started buying an extra pack of TP and paper towels when stocks started coming back on the shelves. Once I got a good supply, I stopped and just used what I had. I think I will keep extra "in stock" from now on "just in case" something like this ever happens again. I was very happy I live near the water and nobody thought to go to a boat supply store to get TP. That place saved the day for me on more than one occasion. Haha!!

As far as mask wearing, I don't see anyone anymore. Some used to when the requirement was first lifted but the last few week, I haven't seen anyone wearing one. Most stores never enforced the mask rule anyway.

I've laid in a few extra supplies with every Amazon Fresh order, and lately mask filters and other dry goods. I understand one of the roads between Washington and California is closed due to wildfires, which might be slowing deliveries here.

Did an Amazon Fresh order today for delivery between 11-1. Very easy to get a slot even on a Saturday. Prices are pretty comparable to my local big chain grocery, Jewel Osco. Itís just so much more convenient, regardless of the plague being a factor. Second one Iíve done. I was happy to see they package in paper bags on the first order.

No lettuce today. I bought baby kale instead.

Last week no Starbucks coffee in the refrigerated section and I bought some instant as I don't have a coffeemaker. This week still no Starbucks and the other refrigerated coffees were wiped out too.

Lettuce is back because that baby kale spoiled quickly.

Did my weekly grocery shopping today and kept the list VERY short - or so I thought. Ended up with two bags of groceries for $55. Looking at the items, it just seems way too much. Did stop at the dollar store and got a 2lb bag of brown rice and a lb bag of lentils... $2. That seems way more reasonable to me.

As I posted in a different thread, I'm still working on my pantry re-organization, so I'll see what next week's grocery trip will be like after a good pantry inventory.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Been doing grocery pick up for a few weeks
    Helps with impulse buying and frees up some time after work since I don't have to go inside and shop. Had some minor mishaps like not getting one of my bags but otherwise a good experience so far. I did mess up with my order this week so I will need to swing by the store after work tomorrow to pick up some items I forgot to add to my order. I also enjoy that they give me paper bags instead of plastic. Larger bags means less trips to/from the car to the house.

I had a zoom social meeting and a real life social occation this week and a common discussion was shortages and high grocery prices. On my last outing I really couldn't see aything significant and wondered about the media power of suggestion. I don't buy meat, but all of the meat and fish selves looked well stocked and prices seemed reasonable. Almond milk was about the same and what ever I know about cheese prices were in line from memory.

About the only thing on my list that caught my attention was a bag of Bob's Red Mill orgainc white flour for 8.99, on sale. That seemed like a lot, but maybe it's been that way. Better than last year where certain types of flour were hard tocome by.

I checked a recipe book out of the library and copied down the ingredients for five recipes I wanted to try. I struck out on four of the five. Among the things I could not find - and which a store employee could not find either - was cornmeal. I feel like a scavenger trying to find things to eat. The supply chain issues don't seem to be getting any better.

Thread Information