Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

I'm doing Amazon/Whole Foods delivery for the moment, as Safeway is currently not delivering without contact--for some reason beyond my understanding.

Another Aldi run this morning. Had to wait outside until shoppers rolled their carts out the front door; that's a first. An employee was wiping down carts for people just as they entered the store and accepted carts back from shoppers when they were done.

The store was pretty well stocked, with limits of two on most meat products (fresh or canned; frozen apparently is not restricted). Pallets of toilet paper and paper towels and two facings of bleach but still no disinfectant sprays or wipes. No cornstarch (???).

The floors are marked for one-way aisles, but maybe a third of the shoppers were clueless about that despite lots of signage. An overlapping third of shoppers did not have masks. Contrary to what I'd heard about Aldi checkouts, they were not wiped down between shoppers and you did not get your own cart back. Not a huge deal; just interesting that it's a policy they've been following elsewhere but not here. In and out in about an hour; good for the next two weeks minus some items I'll have to get elsewhere because Aldi just doesn't carry them.

ETA: Still easier for me than shopping on-line for groceries.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

On our most recent Market Basket visit everyone was wearing masks as now required by law, although some wearing them incorrectly. The observance of the one-way aisles was probably about 50/50. I think they need to have some sort of signage higher up, since it's easy to miss instructions on the floor. That just isn't where you usually see information posted in stores, and it's easy to forget since you're going against the habits of a lifetime.
    Steve, same deal with not getting our own cart back, although I hadn't thought about that until reading your post. Will have to notice next time if the bagger wipes it down. It doesn't really matter to me, since I assume my hands are "contaminated" until I get to the car and sanitize, but it does sort of negate the step of sanitizing cart handles when you get your cart initially.

We have been ordering from Safeway, mostly produce and dairy about once a week. No problems with getting anything we need. Costco was a madhouse the other day and I'll avoid them for a bit.

Since mid-March in this pandemic except for the Sprouts run, I've mostly shopped two local SoCal chains, they don't even exist outside of CA, expensive, one reason the grocery bill is up and the bill is always "ouch", but not completely insane in terms of number of shoppers etc.. I will survive, it's not like I'm spending money on anything else pretty much.

Paper towels last week even (although I consider them much more optional than TP). Food has come back for most things, still limited selection of canned beans, but all else I want (uh most of the time I don't even think about buying flour, I'm not much for baking). TP still hard to find, but I have managed to acquire a decent amount of the industrial TP (the kind that doesn't fit on household dispensers). I got tired of worrying about TP, and luckily at least there is that, and going to tons of stores trying to track down TP, would not be social distancing.

I'll see if I even need to make a grocery run this week, maybe not.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I am now finding water with no limits, TP with limits, but no disinfectant spray or wipes. This is hard for my son with his severe OCD. Almost every day he goes to Walmart looking but they must all be snapped up during senior shopping hour, which everywhere is the first hour of the day. He cannot find them online either. I cannot wait for things to return to normal so the hoarding stops.

I have not seen a container of disinfectant wipes since the stay-at-home order started. I think we'll scare up a spare sprayer bottle and make up a bleach solution for home use and save the wipes for travel. My pharmacy did put on their "we have today" board wipes, TP, paper towels, disposable masks, and some other things that are not commonly found these days; I haven't felt I need to take them up on that offer.

Quick run to my usual small grocery for items Aldi did not have. They had everything I wanted. I did not cruise past the meat aisle to see if they were limiting purchases there (meant to; forgot). No paper towels today. No limit on TP but what they had was the generic stuff and there wasn't much of it on the shelf anyway. I noticed that their bulk section is open again; for several weeks it was cordoned off (wonder what that indicates?).

DW wanted raisins to make banana bread (?? but I don't eat it so whatever); very little in the way of raisins there. And all of one package of frozen broccoli in the store. Lots of other frozen vegetables but apparently broccoli is pretty popular here. Kind of amusing to see what some stores still don't have in stock.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've found that dried cranberries make a good substitute for raisins, and I have a bag in reserve.

My 10a.m. to noon Amazon/WF delivery arrived on my doorstep at 9:45 with only one--very minor--substitution. I'm a happy customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am now finding water with no limits, TP with limits, but no disinfectant spray or wipes. This is hard for my son with his severe OCD. Almost every day he goes to Walmart looking but they must all be snapped up during senior shopping hour, which everywhere is the first hour of the day. He cannot find them online either. I cannot wait for things to return to normal so the hoarding stops.
    Mix 1/3 Cup bleach in 1 gallon of water. Put in a stack of old washclothes. Tell him not to redip but put in laundry. Make a fresh bowl of it daily or every 2 days. Could make half of that if 1 gallon is too much.

Save a bloody fortune as well with an OCD human in the home.

We don’t use hand sanitizers but hot water and soap.

Thread Information