Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

I can definitely see higher prices on my last few grocery trips. Cat food went up again and our Natural Grocers store has been out of oatmeal now for a month. However, Costco today was stocked to the gills with huge stacks of toilet paper all the way down the center aisle. So weird...

Went grocery shopping yesterday and it was over the top expensive! Granted, I did buy a package of tp, cat litter, and more beverages than usual, but still. Definitely time for me to stop procrastinating and start making menus and using what is on hand.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I had grass-fed beef in my Amazon Fresh cart when it jumped in price from $6 to nearly $10. I've seen that happen before, though. I put that back in a hurry. All in all, though, I'm not seeing big increases in the prices of stuff I buy.

Itís interesting how some stuff is going through the roof and other stuff no change. Dairy stuff hasnít changed. Bread, tortillas, veggies, no noticeable change except that avocados are never on sale anymore. Chicken, way more expensive. Butcher counter boneless chicken thighs were $4.50/lb the other day. Ground turkey $7/lb compared to $3.50 and $5 just a couple months ago.

I don't know if potatoes have a season, but the ones I see in stores are sad looking. Some stores don't even have any!

I window shopped red meats after noticing grass fed fancy fillets were $30 a pound. Not something I have a good baseline for, but the red meat prices seemd very high. There were several markdown packages that looked close to expiration date and I wondered if people were getting priced out of the red meat market. I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill organic pastry flour for holiday baking on sale at $7.99 which seemed high. Nothing else seemd much out of line, however I've noticed that craft beer at the local liquor stores is up a solid dollar a six pack. That's something I have a solid baseline for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Nothing else seemed much out of line, however I've noticed that craft beer at the local liquor stores is up a solid dollar a six pack. That's something I have a solid baseline for.
    LOL. Now that you mention it, kegs for my kegerator have been steadily going up these past few months. High end microbrews that used to be in the $90's for a five gallon keg are now going for anywhere from $104 to $119. Bud Light in a 7.75 gallon keg is still only $95 (not sure what it was before, I've never been inclined to buy it) but this is one area, like most stuff that goes in one's mouth, where quality is worth the extra money if there isn't a major substitution that works.

Thread Information