Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I've been buying mine at True Leaf Market for a few years. When I first got into salad gardening*, I found they were one of the least expensive sources (it was Handy Pantry then, now acquired by True Leaf Market). Germination has been reliable.

* salad gardening: https://www.amazon.com/Year-Round-In...9913604&sr=8-5

Salad gardening is sprouts grown in soil, versus sprouts grown just in a jar. The book I linked outlines the method and gives lots of tips. This will be the 5th winter for me in growing soil sprouts. I don't tend to use these as a salad on their own(although you can, and I have) but as an addition to purchased lettuce or for sandwiches.
    I've never heard of salad gardening! Definitely going to look into this. Thanks so much for the info.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I've never heard of salad gardening! Definitely going to look into this. Thanks so much for the info.
    Glad to share- I'm a promoter of this method to all who listen to me blather. Because no grow lights or special equipment is needed, its accessible to a lot of folks. You still have to purchase soil, seeds and compost, of course, but those are relatively inexpensive. And its so nice to have something so fresh and green in the middle of winter!

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I've been buying mine at True Leaf Market for a few years. When I first got into salad gardening*, I found they were one of the least expensive sources (it was Handy Pantry then, now acquired by True Leaf Market). Germination has been reliable.

* salad gardening: https://www.amazon.com/Year-Round-In...9913604&sr=8-5

Salad gardening is sprouts grown in soil, versus sprouts grown just in a jar. The book I linked outlines the method and gives lots of tips. This will be the 5th winter for me in growing soil sprouts. I don't tend to use these as a salad on their own(although you can, and I have) but as an addition to purchased lettuce or for sandwiches.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the book from the library and also ordered some sprouting seeds online to see if this is something I would like to try as well.

I actually found a set of 5 - 3 x 6 foil pans at the dollar store - although I think they might be slightly smaller. I'm going to look for the book at my library as well, but the guy's website also has a bunch of information: http://www.the-daily-gardener.com/

Thanks again, herbgeek!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Went to my normal grocery store for weekly shopping yesterday and was very surprised to see no bagged apples. I have a feeling - with fire and smoke in apple areas - that they may be the next "shortage" item.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Went to my normal grocery store for weekly shopping yesterday and was very surprised to see no bagged apples. I have a feeling - with fire and smoke in apple areas - that they may be the next "shortage" item.
    Fire has not affected apple harvest in the Northwest.......yet. We've had fresh apples for a few weeks already.

I suspect the natural disasters of wildfires and floods have disrupted the supply chain, in this case, trucking routes.

Yppej
    I went to Aldi's and they limited paper towels to one per customer. This is my new quest. I will hit a different store every week.

Huh. The only thing they're limiting at the Aldi nearest us is canned beans and (canned) three-bean salad (really???). Still have yet to see hand sanitizer in the store, but everything else seems to be there in the usual quantities. But I suppose markets can differ greatly.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

At Meijer there were milk shortages again and limits, and no cream at all.

Thread Information