Page 26 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

People getting lax about distancing or whatever probably has little to do with masks and more to do with we're on month one million or something of this thing now.

It's not even conscious, there are times I get out of a grocery store and wondered if I've forgotten to distance while in it (with checking out I distance from clerks etc., but I mean just wandering around). Sometimes you can't distance. Probably not huge either way, your talking a few minutes exposure to an aresol virus where dose and time matters. But noone can keep up the level of fear driven high vigilance of the first few months that depend on 100 moment by moment decisions. They can just do their best, and do conscious things like put on a mask before going to the store, one decision, often helped by local laws requiring it.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    It was chilly this morning and by the time I got to the checkout line my nose was running. Could I take off my mask to blow my nose? Of course not. I could be banned from the store and fined $300. Such is life in the People"s Republic of Massachusetts.

So I pressed my mask against the bottom of my nose to sop up the snot.

Will I spend my hard earned money buying another mask? No, I will turn it inside out. My exhalations will push the snot germs into the air for others to breathe. Thus do I rebel against a government so stupid it does not let people blow their noses.

Please. Have mercy.

I have year round bad allergies and frequently sneeze into my mask which is nasty. I own 10 so I can use a new one daily and have plenty of time to wash them. Y, that’s just plain nasty and disgusting!! No regard for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It was chilly this morning and by the time I got to the checkout line my nose was running. Could I take off my mask to blow my nose? Of course not. I could be banned from the store and fined $300. Such is life in the People"s Republic of Massachusetts.

So I pressed my mask against the bottom of my nose to sop up the snot.

Will I spend my hard earned money buying another mask? No, I will turn it inside out. My exhalations will push the snot germs into the air for others to breathe. Thus do I rebel against a government so stupid it does not let people blow their noses.
    No, you are just a stupid person who will not go to some private area/area with no people present, lift her mask, blow her nose and then put her mask back on - all taking less than a full minute to accomplish.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I can understand being generally pissed off about the whole Covid thing, but I think anger at our governor is misdirected. He is just trying to help us stay alive.
    Jeppy, I would be glad to buy you a couple of decent masks (or at least the ones I've found to be most satisfactory). PM me if you want to take me up on my offer.

Yppej
    Well when I flipped sides I noticed the mask was stained with what looks like makeup so I tossed it. I still have a couple other masks. But I like to have a few on hand and use them until they wear out.

I judge politicians by results. The governor has done some stupid and some unconstitutional things. I think he also brings his bias from being a former healthcare executive to bear.

His latest move is to spend who knows how many millions reactivating field hospitals some of which were never used in the spring. He is part of a healthcare industrial complex that would be happy to have us spend all our money on healthcare, nothing is too much.

Here is a chart of healthcare as a percent of GDP by country:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ecd-countries/

Here is a chart of healthcare as a percent of GDP in the US over time. Click on expand to see earlier years:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...dp-since-1960/

During his decade as an executive at the Harvard Pilgrim health insurance company Baker raised premiums 150% and tripled his own salary to $1.7 million dollars. Source: The Boston Globe. That tells you a little about his priorities (which certainly don't include anything like single payer that would prioritize covering everyone over the existing system that enriched him.)

ETA here is another link with several charts comparing the US to other developed countries in percent of GDP spent on healthcare:

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...es/#item-start

At last, yppej and I agree on something. The country needs medicare for all to end the ridiculous healthcare industrial complex.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    At last, yppej and I agree on something. The country needs medicare for all to end the ridiculous healthcare industrial complex.
    I would also like to see national healthcare for all.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I made my first successful Instacart order. This time, I did not use the APP. Sometimes direct interaction with a website works better for me than the APP.

I ordered $37 worth of bottled and canned items and will go pick them up later today.

Thread Information