Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in grocery shopping

Yppej
    Now we will have supply chain issues due to border blockages to and from Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think I’m just gonna have to go to a high-end wine bar or restaurant and pay $10 for a glass which I’m happy to do.
    I hate paying $10 for a glass of wine when I know I can get a huge bottle of the same wine for less! Example: Went to a restaurant several years back with a friend and got a nice Pinot Grigio for about $9 a glass. Asked the brand and it ended up being available on sale for $7.99 (big! bottle) at my liquor store! Could have had 5+ glasses for less than the price of the one.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I went to Aldi‘s and they had no fat free cottage cheese. So I’m done chasing it, it’s back to no eating cottage cheese because even the low-fat stuff is too high in calories.

It’s not like it freezes well so if I ever do find some again, it’s not like I can buy two containers and freeze bits of one. Although I don’t know maybe I should try freezing it?

But since I was in an Aldis and have not been in one in 25 years, I did check out their prices and yes they are low. So I bought a couple things and that’s fine. I didn’t see any English muffins at all, but maybe they were in the frozen food section? They were not in the bread section. I stayed out of the center isles.

Went grocery shopping yesterday. Got a 20lb bag of rice for 6.99, so am well-stocked in rice! LOL. I was able to find my dry cat food, but the canned cat food shelves were very, very limited in stock. Salesperson was putting out a few cans, when I commented on the availability. She said "It's been this way for months and appears it will continue for a while." Never said why. Interesting little exchange at the time.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I went to Aldi‘s and they had no fat free cottage cheese. So I’m done chasing it, it’s back to no eating cottage cheese because even the low-fat stuff is too high in calories.

It’s not like it freezes well so if I ever do find some again, it’s not like I can buy two containers and freeze bits of one. Although I don’t know maybe I should try freezing it?

But since I was in an Aldis and have not been in one in 25 years, I did check out their prices and yes they are low. So I bought a couple things and that’s fine. I didn’t see any English muffins at all, but maybe they were in the frozen food section? They were not in the bread section. I stayed out of the center isles.
    I doubt Aldi has English muffins in the freezer aisle. They’re good for basic stuff and some interesting other items, like the German stuff at the holidays.

We went grocery shopping at Market Basket yesterday and found a few things that had been absent from the shelves in recent months: small cans of tomato juice, small cans of pineapple juice, and Meow Mix seafood cups. There is no longer a mask mandate in effect, but a lot more people were wearing masks than not. I would say about 80% were wearing masks.

I shop at the HyVee here and I uses their online shopping service called "Aisles." They shop with 95% accuracy -- screw ups are rare. They will text if about substituting an item they are out of. They will send one ad to you via text each time, usually about adding a dozen cookies to your order. Easy to decline.

I order the night before, then I go first thing in the morning so no other customers are parked near me. I do the curbside pick up. They clerk who brings tour groceries wears a mask. I also wear a mask and open all my windows.

It is a good set up.

Yppej
    RR you reminded me to email Market Basket that the state lifted its mask advisory so why are they still forcing their employees to wear masks.

Yesterday was the first time I have noticed a price increase on the basics I usually buy. Not horrible but noticeable.

Yppej
    I refused to pay $2.79 for a dozen eggs. I can flex my diet as much as I need to in order to avoid those sorts of prices.

Thread Information