Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I think I understand why I perceive trumpers to be stupid eff's

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I never thought carefully about what a virus from a lab really means, but I didn’t think it was necessarily man made.I don’t see how it is beyond the realm of possible that nature-made viruses reside in a Wuhan lab of virology.

But as I said earlier, 8 patient 0’s who are associated with the animal market is compelling evidence, assuming their background is accurate. Investigation is not possible in China, but I suppose we can be grateful they aren’t North Korea.
    If the virus started in nature and then was taken to a lab for study it wasn’t entirely removed from nature. It was still out there spreading around. Is it possible that they had brought it to the lab then had an accident and people in the public contracted it as a result? Sure. But if it was already infecting people all that would do is move the current situation a few months earlier since the virus was already out there infecting people.

Hand wringing about this is just a foolish waste of time and serves no purpose other then to try and deflect from questions that actually matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If the virus started in nature and then was taken to a lab for study it wasn’t entirely removed from nature. It was still out there spreading around. Is it possible that they had brought it to the lab then had an accident and people in the public contracted it as a result? Sure. But if it was already infecting people all that would do is move the current situation a few months earlier since the virus was already out there infecting people.

Hand wringing about this is just a foolish waste of time and serves no purpose other then to try and deflect from questions that actually matter.
    Funny, I think the origin of how this virus that brought the world to its knees is a question that matters.

As the Wuhan lab hypothesis gets more traction, we learn heads are rolling in media sources for unobjective reporting,
    of The Science (imagine that!) our tax dollars were revealed to have funded the lab that may have brought us the virus, the good Dr. Fauci plays politics at a very high level …etc etc.

Where’s the conspiracy again?
    you can’t make this stuff up, it is insane.

Paraphrasing Jon Stewart “we can thank The Science for relieving much of the suffering caused by the Covid virus. It’s the least it can do because The Science likely caused it all.”

It's a question that matters. There is the question of whether gain of function research should even be done and at the very least it should have very tight controls. So of course an error if it actually happened is cause for examination.

The question is not if the government should fund scientific research. Of course it should. Who else even would fund much of it? But specifically whether it should fund or even allow (although that seems hard to enforce) gain of function research.

But no we do not know that science caused it all.

And none of it makes Trump's handling of the coronavirus any less terrible than it was, that exists entirely independently of the source of the virus, because once it was here the ultimate cause literally doesn't matter, it's debating angels on the head of a pin, when only dealing with it does, and it was handled abysmally.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It's a question that matters. There is the question of whether gain of function research should even be done and at the very least it should have very tight controls. So of course an error if it actually happened is cause for examination.

The question is not if the government should fund scientific research. Of course it should. Who else even would fund much of it? But specifically whether it should fund or even allow (although that seems hard to enforce) gain of function research.

But no we do not know that science caused it all.

And none of it makes Trump's handling of the coronavirus any less terrible than it was, that exists entirely independently of the source of the virus, because once it was here the ultimate cause literally doesn't matter, it's debating angels on the head of a pin, when only dealing with it does, and it was handled abysmally.
    yes, two separate thoughts: 1) The China virus came from a Wuhan lab. 2) Trump is an idiot.

Gosh I think identifying the cause of Covid release into the human population could perhaps help to prevent another such outbreak, but what do I know, just an untrained-in-The-Science rube from flyover country.

I totally agree with you IL. We need to be concerned about preventing this from happening again.

I also think IL is right. With all the backpedaling, arm twisting, race-baiting, self-censorship and equivocation we’ve seen here, using “the science” as a political bludgeon makes very little sense. We have gone from taboo conspiracy theory to strong circumstantial evidence in a handful of news cycles.

Hasn't "escape from a Wuhan lab" always been a strong possibility? It's the "stealth bio weapon" conspiracy theory that wasn't believable. (Along with hair on fire fantasies featuring Dr. Fauci and Bill Gates.) Science always mutates and evolves. But by all means weave that into a political screed, as is your wont.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Hasn't "escape from a Wuhan lab" always been a strong possibility? It's the "stealth bio weapon" conspiracy theory that wasn't believable. (Along with hair on fire fantasies featuring Dr. Fauci and Bill Gates.) Science always mutates and evolves. But by all means weave that into a political screed, as is your wont.
    Read through this thread. “Conspiracy mongering” and “xenephobic” accusations are thrown about if one talks about the virus coming from a lab.

It couldn’t get much exposure, this theory, or examination either because it was so incredibly tied to Donald Trump in the minds of some people. No real Science was able to advance any kind of investigation into it because Trump. All Trump all the time.Trump Trump Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Read through this thread. “Conspiracy mongering” and “xenephobic” accusations are thrown about if one talks about the virus coming from a lab.

It couldn’t get much exposure, this theory, or examination either because it was so incredibly tied to Donald Trump in the minds of some people. No real Science was able to advance any kind of investigation into it because Trump. All Trump all the time.Trump Trump Trump.
    We could have done without "China virus" and "kung flu," certainly. Little old Asian ladies are still paying the price for those labels.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    We could have done without "China virus" and "kung flu," certainly. Little old Asian ladies are still paying the price for those labels.
    In my lifetime we've had the Asian Flu pandemic and the Hong Kong Flu pandemic, but those were simpler times I suppose.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information