Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I understand why I perceive trumpers to be stupid eff's

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I think people can buy seeds online.
    I saw a video clip of her explaining that it was no big deal forbidding planting seeds or visiting your own property because it's snowing in Michigan.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Jp, do you give any traction to the theory that this Covid19 virus came out of a Wuhan lab? I first heard it weeks ago from a Fox watching friend, but now it is reappearing as ?mainstream? I’m not even sure it was floated by Fox at first. Since we don’t have cable at home and I never watch it in Herman I don’t watch Fox News.

I do ascribe to the idea that China knows exactly how many people died of Covid19 because they have societal monitoring systems to measure that. They also feel no obligation to share that info, secretive as they are. Was it deliberately released? I doubt it.
    No, I don't think china intentionally released a deadly virus into the world. The scientists that have contemplated this seem to have concluded they didn't and I have no reason to not trust them and have not read any competiting theories, with scientific explanation, from other scientists. Admitedly I'm trusting articles that my science and medical knowledge based friends have shared, so perhaps there's another viewpoint out there that I just haven't been exposed to. If anyone has links to science based articles claiming otherwise regarding china I'd be happy to read them.

I find it amusing that trump originally was complimenting china's openness on the topic of the coronavirus, but is now slamming the WHO for uncritically accepting what china was saying at the same time he was complimenting them. I get that he is only concerned about today's news cycle and not with maintaining any consistency or building trust in what he says, but geez, the dude seems to think the american public is even more stupid and short memoried than susan collins thinks it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I saw a video clip of her explaining that it was no big deal forbidding planting seeds or visiting your own property because it's snowing in Michigan.
    Like people don't start seeds indoors?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No, I don't think china intentionally released a deadly virus into the world. The scientists that have contemplated this seem to have concluded they didn't and I have no reason to not trust them and have not read any competiting theories, with scientific explanation, from other scientists. Admitedly I'm trusting articles that my science and medical knowledge based friends have shared, so perhaps there's another viewpoint out there that I just haven't been exposed to. If anyone has links to science based articles claiming otherwise regarding china I'd be happy to read them.

I find it amusing that trump originally was complimenting china's openness on the topic of the coronavirus, but is now slamming the WHO for uncritically accepting what china was saying at the same time he was complimenting them. I get that he is only concerned about today's news cycle and not with maintaining any consistency or building trust in what he says, but geez, the dude seems to think the american public is even more stupid and short memoried than susan collins thinks it is.
    It ‘s two separate ideas:

virus came from Wuhan lab

virus was deliberately released

The first one can be true without the second one being true

Alan, that makes sense .

It ‘s two separate ideas:

virus came from Wuhan lab

virus was deliberately released

The first one can be true without the second one being true
    From what I've read the virus didn't come from a lab. If it didn't come from a lab how could it have been deliberately released?

I suppose people predisposed to believe conspiracy theories might believe that china intentionally killed a not insignificant chunk of their population. After all, I have stupid friends that are deadset against getting vaccinated for covid-19 if a vaccination becomes available because they assume that it's a hoax from the government intended to harm them. But i give that about as much validity as the idea that obama was a muslim kenyan. Anyone who thinks there's any legitimacy to that crankpot theory fits into my original thoughts that started this thread.

Personally I don't have enough knowledge about the science of viruses. So I trust my friend B. He's working on a masters in science, focused on viruses. His studies are more focused on HIV, just because. But he can break down what the sciency articles are saying about covid-19 and explain why what they say is likely true. (I suppose he could also explain why someone was spouting BS but he hasn't actually done that.) None of the articles he's posted and written about have given any indication that any of this was intentional in any way shape or form. Knowing B, if he came across such an article I suspect he'd be screaming about it from the rooftops since his childhood was spent in a country where freedom of speech was not a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I have no clue. There's a recall petition for the MI gov that is getting a lot of signatures.

MI at one time had the highest number of boat registrations in the country. I heard FL might have more now, but still, MI has a ton of boats. People do NOT like being told to stay off the water.
    Give an authoritarian the power to fight an epidemic, and they will find a way to go after your Evinrude. There’s a moral in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    From what I've read the virus didn't come from a lab. If it didn't come from a lab how could it have been deliberately released?

I suppose people predisposed to believe conspiracy theories might believe that china intentionally killed a not insignificant chunk of their population. After all, I have stupid friends that are deadset against getting vaccinated for covid-19 if a vaccination becomes available because they assume that it's a hoax from the government intended to harm them. But i give that about as much validity as the idea that obama was a muslim kenyan. Anyone who thinks there's any legitimacy to that crankpot theory fits into my original thoughts that started this thread.

Personally I don't have enough knowledge about the science of viruses. So I trust my friend B. He's working on a masters in science, focused on viruses. His studies are more focused on HIV, just because. But he can break down what the sciency articles are saying about covid-19 and explain why what they say is likely true. (I suppose he could also explain why someone was spouting BS but he hasn't actually done that.) None of the articles he's posted and written about have given any indication that any of this was intentional in any way shape or form. Knowing B, if he came across such an article I suspect he'd be screaming about it from the rooftops since his childhood was spent in a country where freedom of speech was not a thing.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52318539

Some U.S. scientists were concerned about virology lab practices in Wuhan, which seems to be China’s biggest virology research lab.

The seeds could be said to be essential if it's food seeds. Seeds are available online but it depends on where one orders (with Amazon few will ship until May, but websites from actual seed companies seem to be selling seeds right now). The banning seeds is excessive, but the claim that seeds aren't available online seems dubious at the least (unless buying seeds has some complexity I don't know about), and the protest itself completely ridiculous. I'm not sure why one would consider boats essential.

None of the laws are perfect, I could quibble about say CA saying construction is an essential business. Because by and large I can't see it. But they are a business with some lobbying power, ha you think we don't know who runs things. Anyway even though it would no doubt be safer if they shut construction down (because social distancing is not necessarily being followed on a construction site) it's no reason I'd ever object to the entirety of what is being attempted. That would be inability to see the forest for the trees in the extreme. If there are safer ways to open things up (and it's an experiment being run really) they seem to depend on things we can't seem to get right in this country at this point at all in order to work, such as adequate testing. Plus the U.S. may have a very high infection rate, making comparisons to Germany for instance, which is easing restrictions some, likely invalid. I mean we have a high known number of cases, but we don't EVEN know really.
    Trees don't grow on money

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52318539

Some U.S. scientists were concerned about virology lab practices in Wuhan, which seems to be China’s biggest virology research lab.
    The concern expressed in that article is potentially reasonable. the facts and proof, not so existent. And the fact that the two examples of virus mishaps noted in the article were American make it especially absurd that trump and his cheerleaders are using xenophobia to deflect from their woefully and deadly inadequate response to this.

Thread Information