Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone, I have some questions for you all!

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Razz,

You make several good points! Actually, I'm in a good place on a lot of levels and I love Portland. I can see where I may be setting myself up for "the grass is always greener...someplace else..." while ignoring the fact that staying put here in Portland may be the wise choice.

Thank you, Mark N.

Thank you, Gardnr,

The very recent developments SHOULD figure into my examining various options at this point. Ex-pat life can have its drawbacks...well, any sort of pathway is going to have problems and plusses and minuses.

A mobile home situation may be a good idea...as it is, I really can't afford a typical house (so much price inflation here in Oregon and elsewhere).

The tiny home/conversion van deal is not sounding ideal to me. But I LOVE the idea of having LESS stuff! : )

Hi Tybee,

Thank you...I read Your Money or Your Life back in 1994 as well as Luhr's Simple Living Guide. I'll check out Moss's book...sounds great!

Administrative Note: I have merged two identitical threads in different forums into one, which is why the OP appears twice in this one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thank you, Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeflow View Post
    Good evening,

I'm Mark and I am in a fairly unique situation where, thanks to my frugality, I am able to contemplate a variety of life choices. I am free of...mortgage, car payments (don't own a vehicle), huge credit card debt (pay off every month) and a nine-to-five job. I DO have a fair amount of stuff in my duplex rental (very affordable as I have sublet my smaller bedroom to renters).

I have a small solo owner organizing business (I organize houses and I also do house/pet sitting); it's a win-win and it offers a viable tax shelter from some inherited monies from some family.

I get a disbursement from a late family member's IRA: $800.00/month.

My housemate and I more or less split the rent 50/50.

I would like (even in this uncertain economic environment) to wait another eight years till I'm 70 to collect Social Security; far better than collecting when I turn 62 (next month).

Thing is, I'm trying to figure out the best housing situation for myself: tiny home, buying a single/double-wide, living out of a conversion van, or...and this is a stretch, I have .45 acres in Herlong, California, which is a lot my parent's bought in 1965! No development at all in this subdivision though there are a smattering of single/double-wides and some conventional houses. Housing will always be my biggest expense but I'm thinking economically.

Alternatively, I could check out (when global travel picks up again) Mexico, Costa Rica and other inexpensive countries.

Bottom line: I have a lot of choices (I'm single, no pets, no partners, have an elderly mom I'm close to and a brother; a sister, too, but we don't communicate at this time - sad).

So many choices and I feel a bit paralyzed. But I would LOVE your feedback, Simple Living community! Thank you all in advance!

Very best, Mark N.
    Why wait for social security??? It may not be around in 8 years.

Welcome, Mark,

I wonder, is there any problem with staying put with your current housing arrangement? If it is as well organized as I think it must be, your landlord surely appreciates you immensely as a tenant.

I would encourage you to read articles by CFAs on the topic of delaying your social security retirement benefits to age 70.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Welcome, Mark,

I wonder, is there any problem with staying put with your current housing arrangement? If it is as well organized as I think it must be, your landlord surely appreciates you immensely as a tenant.

I would encourage you to read articles by CFAs on the topic of delaying your social security retirement benefits to age 70.
    Why is that, dado? I'm definitely PLANNING to delay SS benefits, but I'm so tempted to take them now (I'm 68). I would definitely give up a decent amount money by doing it now, but I could also just apply it to all the things I need to do before retirement (repairs, debt resolution) and then pull the plug on work. I'm getting really tired of working and I REALLY want to start to live a fixed income lifestyle so I can CHOOSE to work.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I guess I would look at the difference between taking it now and taking it at 70 and run the numbers.

Thread Information