Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoom advice needed please

Zoom advice needed please

Yesterday I participated in a zoom meeting for the first time. I had submitted my name and email address prior to the meeting as required. To my amazement, I was listed on the meeting with my unique Facebook name, not the normal usage name that I had submitted. Does FB own Zoom? Does it receive all communications?

Also, I have spoken to family on Facetime with both my iPhone and computer seeing each other with no difficulty. In yesterday's meeting I had audio contact but not video. When I clicked on the video icon, a message came up telling me that I had no camera set up for video. Again, is this being determined by my FB restrictions set up with my FB account years ago?

It is very puzzling to me. Any guidance on Zoom usage procedures would be really helpful. TIA
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

A quick look on Wikipedia seems to indicate Zoom raised a good bit of $$ from FB in the past.

I can't comment on your video issues. Did you try turning on your camera from the controls in the lower left corner of the screen while you were in the midst of the call?

I've been on a number of Zoom calls lately - organized by people with both free and paid Zoom accounts - and some people always had issues getting camera or microphone settings correct.

Your FB settings should have no bearing on the camera or microphone working.

I have no idea on your FB username coming up.

Just an interjection—the video control on my Zoom experience, a red film camera, is at the top of my IPAD screen.

I have a Macbook Air.

The icons for the audio and the camera are readily visible on the screen so that is not the issue. I tested the audio and microphone prior to the meeting with no problems. It is only the camera that is the issue. The fact that my unique but accurate FB name, not my listed name with the organization as was submitted, was used on the list of attendees causes me concern.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Facebook login is used by Zoom. When you sign up for Zoom, FB got your information and the identifiers linked it to your FB account. There is already one class action lawsuit against Zoom, along with recommendations not to use it.
    I suspect there will be others, both against Zoom, and school districts (at least locally), that asked students to use it for online classes, putting minors information/privacy at risk.

Yeah, I am leery of Zoom for those reasons. We used it for one church meeting of our Friends congregation, and then it didn't work for Easter Sunday, so who knows why.

Going to church on Facebook is not going to happen for me.

Friends don't make friends do Zoom.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Reminds me of the Aretha Franklin song "Who's Zooming Who?"

Thanks, TMS. Now to figure out what to do about the weekly meetings; simply stop linking or stop but explaining why I won't need the link after they kindly invited me to join. them.

Found this as well https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/1/21...emand-response
    "
    As security researchers and privacy advocates continue to dig into Zoom’s software and practices, there are signs more issues will need to be addressed. Some are now discovering just how Zoom works around OS restrictions by using “the same tricks that are being used by macOS malware” to get its software on Macs."

And

March 20, 2020 https://protonmail.com/blog/zoom-privacy-issues/

"Zoom privacy regarding your data
    Zoom not only tracks your attention, it tracks you.

According to the company’s privacy policy, Zoom collects reams of data on you, including your name, physical address, email address, phone number, job title, employer. Even if you don’t make an account with Zoom, it will collect and keep data on what type of device you are using, and your IP address. It also collects information from your Facebook profile (if you use Facebook to sign in) and any “information you upload, provide, or create while using the service.”

Some of this data you enter yourself when you are signing in (for example, to join a call online, you must give your email), but much of it is collected automatically by the Zoom app.

In its privacy policy, under the entry “Does Zoom sell Personal Data?” the policy says, “Depends what you mean by ‘sell.’” To summarize Zoom’s policy, they say they don’t sell personal data for money to third parties, but it does share personal data with third parties for those companies’ “business purposes.” In its privacy policy, it gives the example that it may pass your personal information to Google."

Thread Information