Thread: PBS Passport streaming

PBS Passport streaming

You can get access to a lot of PBS programs via streaming for $5/month with the PBS Passport program. This is the only streaming service I pay for. All of Downtown Abbey, Victoria, Poldark, and a lot of other programs are available. I consider it a massive bargain.

I realize that PBS has to work for it's money just like anyone else, but I have a tiny bit of resentment at the system that is the public system, the system that is supposed to be for every citizen doing this. I often can't stay up to watch shows I want to to see and am blocked from recording them if I don't have Passport and they don't always show up on on demand. It just seems wrong.

Really? You’re complaining over $5/month?

The BBC, which is the closest equivalent to PBS, has an annual license fee of GBP 150 a year (roughly $184). Everyone (aside from seniors) who has a TV must pay it. If you watch via iPlayer, the online service, you must pay it. The UK gov’t apparently comes after people if they don’t pay or if they suspect you have a TV and aren’t paying.

The $5/month is a bargain. The other streaming services are more expensive. I know many people that have several streaming subscriptions in addition to having cable. I’m told that many of the Passport programs are available via Amazon Prime, but I’ve never checked.

I don’t mind paying $60/year to help support PBS at all. I only watch PBS, plus the local news.

I love PBS! Get what I can via free methods - no cable or pay tv of any kind here.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I don’t have cable or any other streaming services.

If someone is already paying $$ for cable, then why is $5/month extra so cringe worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I don’t have cable or any other streaming services.

If someone is already paying $$ for cable, then why is $5/month extra so cringe worthy?
    I believe it comes down to a matter of choices, and everyone has their own financial issues and priorities.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

@Tiam

I don’t know if your local PBS station has this, but here goes...

Chicago's PBS station has a secondary digital channel. If I miss Call the Midwife or Masterpiece on Sunday evening, I can catch it on the secondary channel later in the week. Check the program schedule.

Thread Information