Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nova Scotia mass shooting 4/19/2020

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Has the Prime Minister provided a definition of "military-grade assault weapons"?
    The regulations published in the Canada Gazette dated May 1, 2020, details the 1,500 firearms. Examples:
    SG-550
    SG-551
    M16
    AR-10
    AR-15
    M4
    Ruger Mini 14
    US Rifle M14
    Vz58
    Robinson Armament XCR
    CZScorpion EVO 3

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The regulations published in the Canada Gazette dated May 1, 2020, details the 1,500 firearms. Examples:
    SG-550
    SG-551
    M16
    AR-10
    AR-15
    M4
    Ruger Mini 14
    US Rifle M14
    Vz58
    Robinson Armament XCR
    CZScorpion EVO 3
    I was looking for a little more specific definition for "military grade assault weapon", such as type/size of ammunition, velocity, range, foot pounds of energy expended, etc., but I guess we'll just go by whatever looks scary.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I was looking for a little more specific definition for "military grade assault weapon", such as type/size of ammunition, velocity, range, foot pounds of energy expended, etc., but I guess we'll just go by whatever looks scary.
    I am puzzled by the intent of your question. I was a gun owner years ago when DH and I hunted deer for winter meat. It seems to me that all those guns will kill a human being or other living creature regardless of velocity, range, foot pounds of energy etc. But I guess we'll just go by when gangs not concerned by such incidentals buy them for controlling other gang members at close quarters or driveby shootings that often involve innocent bystanders in Canada. The NS situation is particularly unique for shootings here.
    Perhaps you could speak for the US situation where such incidentals may be especially relevant when buying arms for shooting other humans in your society. (Good heavens, that is a really snarky comment but I think it needs to be said).
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am puzzled by the intent of your question.
    Curiosity.

I'm consistently puzzled when people speak of "assault weapons" and occasionally throwing in "military grade" as some sort of qualifier. They seem to mean something to some folks but I'm just not sure what.

Perhaps you could speak for the US situation where such incidentals may be especially relevant when buying arms for shooting other humans in your society.

I can't. I own several weapons but I didn't buy them with the intention of shooting other humans, perhaps the typical level of my society's pre-meditation is less than you imagine?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I believe Prime Minister Trudeau used rather general language to describe the ban, trusting that his words would have meaning to his English-speaking listeners in Canada. Anyone who would like to know whether a specific firearm is covered by the new ban could refer to the highly specific language of the Canada Gazette.

As I understand it, there is no consideration of intent in the ban. So an argument that the firearm was intended strictly for self-defense in Canada probably would not affect the application of the ban.

I can't. I own several weapons but I didn't buy them with the intention of shooting other humans, perhaps the typical level of my society's pre-meditation is less than you imagine?
    I don't imagine anything about your society's premeditation. Perhaps, my imagination is considerably less than you believe. I have no weapons beyond a kitchen knife, a pair of scissors and so cannot imagine why anyone would buy or see the need to buy any military type weapons or similar items. DH loved the machinery and craftmanship of his guns and maintained them, but had gunlocks on at all times. I bought and insisted that the storage cabinet had to be a certain thickness and built into the wall. The ammo was kept completely separate. To me that was just simple common sense and met the letter and intent of any legislation.

According to some reading that I have done on gang members buying guns, it is one way of regaining some sense of personal power when feeling vulnerable to another's use of weapons and seeing no hope in an alternative way of living. Not sure how true that may be though or how to reduce the perceived vulnerability.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I don't imagine anything about your society's premeditation.
    Then perhaps I mis-interpreted your question. My apologies.

DH loved the machinery and craftmanship of his guns and maintained them, but had gunlocks on at all times. I bought and insisted that the storage cabinet had to be a certain thickness and built into the wall. The ammo was kept completely separate. To me that was just simple common sense and met the letter and intent of any legislation.
    I think that's why it's important to understand how any government defines those weapons they criminalize. Is it possible that if you currently possessed them you'd be in violation of the law, regardless of how well you protected them?

I do not follow Canadian gun law, or really American gun law, either. I have lived with hunters all my life, and I have never met someone who acquired guns for killing other human beings, not where I have lived.

Then perhaps I mis-interpreted your question. My apologies.

I think that's why it's important to understand how any government defines those weapons they criminalize. Is it possible that if you currently possessed them you'd be in violation of the law, regardless of how well you protected them?[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Now you are answering why you asked the question that I queried. Thank you.

I looked at my scary rifle, it’s a smith and Wesson MP-15, I was worried it was a AR-15. Maybe I should paint it pink. Maybe it would make more sense to outlaw gangs.

Ive got some old Winchester’s that I inherited, I remember watching the rifleman when I was a kid. Lucas was able to fire the old lever action pretty rapidly. And rarely ran out of ammo.

Thread Information