Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hermann spring

Hermann spring

Today is beautiful. Sun out, cool. Bluebells are waning, but iris are coming on. All photos are ipside down. Ack!

iris farm. Room for 400 cultivars in 4 levels.

FF52E736-6337-4911-891A-802750B64545.jpg

fruit tree grove. 20 something trees.

56F43DAF-0AC4-4B4E-9B73-EF7570291C73.jpg

Sad grape arbor. None lived thru the winter. They were expensive and difficult to get. Ugh.

F2A548F1-0ABA-4A14-8C28-4747FF496A19.jpg

I want to come out and live with you for a month and take hands-on classes with you and your DH. This is beautiful.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Neat to see. Thanks, IL.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I want to come out and live with you for a month and take hands-on classes with you and your DH. This is beautiful.
    Aw, that’s nice. We could sure show you how NOT to grow Norton grapevines!
    Seriously, we ordered about a dozen from Univ of Missouri way station, 2+ hours away. They are the official supplier of
    Nortons.* They are dug in June, shipped out, and recommended not to go in the ground until summer heat lessens.

8 of our grape plants lived thru those summer heated weeks,and 8 went in the ground with about 4 looking really good.

None survived! Drat.

Norton was bred from a Missouri native grape 100+ years ago. Once they start growing they are tough. I would have been happy to raise 3 of the 12.

*Norton red wine is the only drinkable Missouri wine.

I went through a similar experience with rhododendrons that are especially bred for colder climates. I sheltered them carefully throughout the summer and met all the environmental conditions advised, they seemed to be thriving - not one survived. I feel your pain.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Much ground to cover there. Thanks for sharing!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I went through a similar experience with rhododendrons that are especially bred for colder climates. I sheltered them carefully throughout the summer and met all the environmental conditions advised, they seemed to be thriving - not one survived. I feel your pain.
    We bought 5 azaleas last year. They dont look good.

I should also mention that I use iris in a conventional way in my perennial garden at the front of this house.

But the “ iris farm” area in back is for serious growing and evaluation of cultivars. I am thrilled with its location: full sun, on a hill, wind sweeps over it to keep iris dry and free of fungus. The soil leaves something to be desired, but we are amending it as I plant.

The process of moving several hundred cultivars has been a challenge, and I lose many along the way. I also end up with several of the same cultivar unintentionally planted in several places. Some of the little beasts are hardier than others and they thrive wherever they touch down.

Iris in full bloom over a couple of weeks is a glorious place to visit as are lilies - OK, so are poppies and sunflowers and peonies .... I wonder how the gardens, both private and public, are going to handle the visitors of the coming season. Soon it will be time to start visiting local gardens around here.

Thread Information