Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hermann spring

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Iris in full bloom over a couple of weeks is a glorious place to visit as are lilies - OK, so are poppies and sunflowers and peonies .... I wonder how the gardens, both private and public, are going to handle the visitors of the coming season. Soon it will be time to start visiting local gardens around here.
    The Missouri Botanical .gardens have been closed since early March. They started up a Facebook page for MBG volunteers. They have our email addresses because We are required to give that when we sign up as volunteer. They send us regular photos from their archives of past blooms. I’m sure the weeds are taking over like crazy without volunteers working the grounds.

I hope I will not miss iris season at Missouri botanical Gardens. I work in the Goodman Iris Garden there, they have a really nice collection of iris. My Iris Society funds their new purchases and chooses new cultivars for the garden.

Very nice!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

So nice to see these pictures, thank you! My irises are only 2 inches tall right now, but it was 24 last night.

Iris...just sharing the view from my office window---and our rhodies are all in full bloom too.
    20200501_145737.jpg20200504_090546.jpg
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Lovely, especially the rhodos.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Iris...just sharing the view from my office window---and our rhodies are all in full bloom too.
    20200501_145737.jpg20200504_090546.jpg
    There are beautiful, thanks! The PNW can grow such nice rhodies.

IL, we drove around in Hermann last July on our way home from a reunion in Hannibal. I remembered you bought a place there and so we went to see it (town, not house, lol! No idea which one was yours, but we probably passed it!) It is a lovely looking town. We stopped at a candy shop- Ricky's Chocolate Box - it was the only thing open we could find- and they had the most lovely hard candy rods and pieces. Thanks for posting your photos; I like the yard very much and hope you get grapes going the next go-round. KayLR, I am jealous of your rhodies - they are glorious. They don't seem to do well here in my part of Ohio. I do well with most natives but not anything that needs TLC. But maybe I'll have more time now that I'm retired and will be more successful with plantings. I love spring wildflowers - I have red and white trilliums, Dutchman's breeches, blood root, jack-in-the-pulpit, yellow, white, purple and purple/white violets, bluebells, forget me nots, bishops hat, Solomon seal, bleeding heart, wood poppy - these are my spring bloomers. Most all were collected from the wild (with permission!!) and have settled in well and multiplied over the years. While I really enjoy them, I also like splashes of intense color, which is why I have a bed of daylillies, and some peonys stuck in odd places... At our first house, I had a lot of iris, but I have limited sun spots here and I've not had much luck with them.

thanks for posting photos!

You probably did go past my Hermann house.
    Ricky’s
    chocolate Box is nice. i got DH chocolates from there for Valentine’s Day.

Thread Information