Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bought an oximeter today

I just downloaded a free one.

Tammy, if you could recall the name of that app, that would be helpful. I just looked on the iOS App Store; there's a bunch of inexpensive or free apps containing words like "oximeter" but pretty much all of them are tied to an actual oximeter (sometimes specific models) via Bluetooth; without the finger device, they do nothing.

We're waitlisted at our local pharmacy for their next shipment (mid-May).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, that must be why it won’t connect to my Bluetooth.

I'm looking for the actual name of the app in the app store and for the life of me i can't find it. but the icon on my phone looks like this
    IMG_0568.jpg

Thanks, Tammy. I can find lots of apps with similar icons, but nothing identical (iOS 13.x on an iPhone SE; maybe that's why). I see heart-rate monitors which use the camera's flash to measure. But I can't find that app....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Oh maybe so - I’m using an iPhone X.

Wouldn't it have to link to an apple watch, though? Something you are wearing that can scan for the pulse ox?

Mine is just the little clip on to your finger one, low tech, no computer required.

No - I put my finger over the camera and flash area of the phone and it sends a red light through my finger just like a real pulse oximeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    No - I put my finger over the camera and flash area of the phone and it sends a red light through my finger just like a real pulse oximeter.
    Wow, cool!

The pulse oximeter smartphone apps apparently aren't trustworthy, especially at low oxygen levels (which is when you'd want them to work).

"CONCLUSIONS: It is not physically possible to measure SpO2 using current smartphone technology."

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/questi...ers-answer-no/

"The degree of correlation between monitors routinely used in clinical practice and the smartphone-based applications studied is insufficient to recommend clinical utilization. This lack of correlation suggests that the applications evaluated do not provide clinically meaningful data. The inaccurate data provided by these applications can potentially contribute to patient harm."

https://link.springer.com/article/10...877-016-9889-6

Thread Information