Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April Frugals - Covid-19 Edition

Enjoy having control of your life in retirement, Early Morning.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Been shopping for health ins to get me to medicare age (about 15 months) and finally bought one today. Not cheap but affordable, and I've seen far too many people go from healthy to huge medical bills very very quickly, esp. at my age. So a frugal overall. We bought a new battery and fan/heatsink for DH's laptop and he thinks he can put them in himself using youtube videos. I figure it can't hurt to try! Our big mower is down so he got one of the old push-mowers up and running, and we've been mowing in chunks until the big one is fixed. I have to say that having too much crap on hand has been useful this past few months, as I'm no longer working (retired before the option was removed), which resulted in a severance package, payout of vacation/sick leave, and am now done, with about a 50% pay cut (working vs retirement). I've been trying to cook, fix/repair/complete projects with stuff on hand, buying as little as possible. Inventoried and tidied the pantry cupboard so I know what tinned food I have, defrosted the freezer and inventoried, etc. - which should help with grocery buying. Bought a new seal for the freezer too, but we haven't put it on yet. Not looking forward to counting pennies, but also very much enjoying NOT going to work every morning!
    Congratulations EM! on all counts. Retirement is AWESOME! Stress? GONE. Schedule? GONE. Long work days? GONE!

I jumped in July and am so very happy I did. I had very little work expense as I drove only 85m per week, I worked in scrubs and always brown bagged so didn't' have the "usual" 10% drop in expenses that I've read about in financial projections.

It sounds like perhaps you haven't tracked pennies in the past? Or am I reading into this? I've tracked every penny since Jan 2000 so I know right where we are.

Enjoy your time!

EM, are you getting a pension? Ours have yearly raises starting year 3 and that has helped. We both sometimes bring in more money from consulting or teaching. It took awhile to adjust to less money. We also don’t have car payments so basic costs are low.

WOHOO!!!!!!! Our CSA has started. They are charging a delivery fee this month and it comes to the door rather than a pickup point. We don't have to buy fresh produce until October and it's already paid for!!!!

We will be challenged to eat all this in a week. Good thing we had that burger for lunch. There will not be any takeout in the coming weeks.

The extra "May share" is $75/week x4w. We got: 3# greens, 1bunch each: turnips/radishes/asparagus, pea shoot pesto 1.5c, 1qt organic ice cream, 8 oz melting cheese, 1 large loaf crusty bread, 1dz eggs and 1# fresh pasta. I don't think that's everything but I don't want to open up the fridge. They partnered with several other vendors from our Farmer's Market to help get a bunch of vendors some business. We LOVE our Farmers-they are THE BEST!
    Let the organic extravaganza begin

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    WOHOO!!!!!!! Our CSA has started. They are charging a delivery fee this month and it comes to the door rather than a pickup point. We don't have to buy fresh produce until October and it's already paid for!!!!

We will be challenged to eat all this in a week. Good thing we had that burger for lunch. There will not be any takeout in the coming weeks.

The extra "May share" is $75/week x4w. We got: 3# greens, 1bunch each: turnips/radishes/asparagus, pea shoot pesto 1.5c, 1qt organic ice cream, 8 oz melting cheese, 1 large loaf crusty bread, 1dz eggs and 1# fresh pasta. I don't think that's everything but I don't want to open up the fridge. They partnered with several other vendors from our Farmer's Market to help get a bunch of vendors some business. We LOVE our Farmers-they are THE BEST!
    Let the organic extravaganza begin
    Wow! That’s fabulous you’re getting all that extra stuff not just the veggies.

Gardnr, your CSA sounds great. There aren't any close here, but I am on the waitlist for Misfits Markets, so that may work for us. I used to track pennies, but when my last computer died my access to my data and the program I used died with it. Since then I've made some half-hearted attempts to track, but didn't ever stay with it. I've just built a simple spreadsheet. I don't have the depth of data, but it will do. I'm excited about being retired!! I've worked since I was 16, so this is a nice change. I've been off work since late January, but my severance/vacation/sick-leave payouts have just stopped. I do have a pension - about half of my take-home, prior, and when I'm eligible for social security, that will help. Not to mention Medicare! :-) I save a LOT in gas and wear/tear on car, but that's it - I always took my coffee, went out for lunch only on special occasions. Or lunch meetings, but generally someone else paid for those, lol. And my insurance costs will eat up the gas savings, so no joy there, really. BUT my co-workers have all had to work through this pandemic, and I'm very very grateful that I did NOT have to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Wow! That’s fabulous you’re getting all that extra stuff not just the veggies.
    My Farmers are on the BOD for the market. I suspect they contacted fellow vendors to see who wanted to put something in each week and got a price. They are VERY creative people

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Besides mask making, Ive completed three quilts and one top. In the past I might have bought more material/ thread/ gadgets but I am using up whatever I have on hand. Using up thread even if it’s not the exact color, piecing batting and backs, combining scraps and so on. Like our ancestors would have. And they look fabulous.
    Made several gifts for upcoming family birthdays with what I had on hand.
    We both cleaned out our closets and I’m repurposing some clothes. Lots of ideas on the Internet.

all is good here.

April progress in the studio: I quilted 6 tops and made all the bindings. 1 is finished, 1 has binding applied and is awaiting hand stitching. I have 6 new quilt tops done and a 7th more than halfway.

Is this COVID? Nope. This is what I do with much of my waking hours since retirement.....unless I don't feel like it

I am using up all my yarn making scarfs. I have been getting creative when I only have a small amount of a certain color I just put it on the ends.

Thread Information