Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy 50th Anniversary of Earth Day

Happy 50th Anniversary of Earth Day

Did you check out the website for this important anniversary for our grandchildren's future? The world is able to hear the soundscape of nature because the usual activities have been halted or slowed down. Have you noticed this change in sound in your life?

https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-live/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Actually, yes! My walks are usually solitary and with little traffic. When I cross the little bridge, I can actually hear the water in the stream. Birds are up and singing really early these days as well. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Just read that Michael Moore has a new documentary that is available on Youtube free for 3 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

Michael Moore presents Planet of the Humans, a documentary that dares to say what no one else will this Earth Day — that we are losing the battle to stop climate change on planet earth because we are following leaders who have taken us down the wrong road — selling out the green movement to wealthy interests and corporate America. This film is the wake-up call to the reality we are afraid to face: that in the midst of a human-caused extinction event, the environmental movement’s answer is to push for techno-fixes and band-aids. It's too little, too late.

Removed from the debate is the only thing that MIGHT save us: getting a grip on our out-of-control human presence and consumption. Why is this not THE issue? Because that would be bad for profits, bad for business. Have we environmentalists fallen for illusions, “green” illusions, that are anything but green, because we’re scared that this is the end—and we’ve pinned all our hopes on biomass, wind turbines, and electric cars?

No amount of batteries are going to save us, warns director Jeff Gibbs (lifelong environmentalist and co-producer of “Fahrenheit 9/11” and “Bowling for Columbine"). This urgent, must-see movie, a full-frontal assault on our sacred cows, is guaranteed to generate anger, debate, and, hopefully, a willingness to see our survival in a new way—before it’s too late.

Featuring: Al Gore, Bill McKibben, Richard Branson, Robert F Kennedy Jr., Michael Bloomberg, Van Jones, Vinod Khosla, Koch Brothers, Vandana Shiva, General Motors, 350.org, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sierra Club, the Union of Concerned Scientists, Nature Conservancy, Elon Musk, Tesla.

Music by: Radiohead, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Blank & Jones, If These Trees Could Talk, Valentina Lisitsa, Culprit 1, Patrick O’hearn, The Torquays, Nigel Stanford, and many more.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks for the reference, Razz. I will definitely watch. This was my Earthday reading..."What Covid Is Exposing about the Climate Movement".

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...-impact-198835

I agree with the Politico article but having heard the same old for so many years, it does get discouraging when personal choices I make are overwhelmed by corporate choices including the tar sands and drilling areas everywhere that should be protected, burning the Amazon and over-harvesting seafood and not respecting the importance of natural resources.
    So many things are now happening simultaneously - virus, climate, excess fossil fuels, lockdowns of populations - one could hope that some good will come out of the collective consciousness of societies.
    I haven't stopped composting, line or air drying my laundry, recyling, drive a Prius thoughtfully, preserve my own food supply as much as possible (very positive at present) and watch my diet choices but I wonder how many have got discouraged as I admit to feeling at times.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I haven't stopped composting, line or air drying my laundry, recyling, drive a Prius thoughtfully, preserve my own food supply as much as possible (very positive at present) and watch my diet choices but I wonder how many have got discouraged as I admit to feeling at times.
    I'm staying the course regardless of what others do and I refuse to get discouraged. I will never understand why others don't find these habits important, but I won't stop for them either.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I agree with the Politico article but having heard the same old for so many years, it does get discouraging when personal choices I make are overwhelmed by corporate choices including the tar sands and drilling areas everywhere that should be protected, burning the Amazon and over-harvesting seafood and not respecting the importance of natural resources.
    So many things are now happening simultaneously - virus, climate, excess fossil fuels, lockdowns of populations - one could hope that some good will come out of the collective consciousness of societies.
    I do..

I think policy and individual responsibility have to be in balance. There are no easy answers. But it certainly doesn't help to look for ways to shame people on both sides. Our culture is based on consumption. Our GDP is based on consumption. Capitalism, industries and advertising and marketing have pulled us away from being producers rather than consumers. If we want things to change we have to all be counterculturists (oxymoron as it is for the majority to be counterculturists). We can pursue political action AND change personal behavior. AND stop trying to parse out "hypocrisies" and "virtue-signaling" in order to shame and deride and just acknowledge we're all just trying to do our best.

Here's another great article that was on the Films For Action website: Why I stopped Protesting and Started A Garden. It's about that "one-straw revolution" approach, and it's also about how enviornmental change will never be effective unless we can all view the world as sacred and beautiful and stop viewing it as a resource for consumption for consumption's sake.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Just finished watching it. My reaction right now is WoW! Will be processing this for a while.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Just finished watching it. My reaction right now is WoW! Will be processing this for a while.
    I'm assuming you mean Planet of the Humans... based on your reaction, I just watched it, and I agree--wow. stunning.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I can't say that I totally agreed with the negativity cast on green energy in Planet of the Humans, but I did agree with the fact that we just can't have unlimited growth with limited resources. And how it comes down to population control and consumption. I enjoyed the film and learned a few things. It challenged some of my thinking.

Thread Information