Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy 50th Anniversary of Earth Day

razz and happystuff,

Thanks for taking the time to watch.. I know his ideas are different and a bit utopian (and yes, razz, do utilize technologies), but I always find it inspiring to at least put out-of-the-box ideas on the table. Bioregionalism in terms of food and energy supply is not an unreachable star. As far as Monsanto goes, yes, they will always be a formidable foe, but as long as enough people keep taking steps towards fixing the broken system, we'll get there.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    razz and happystuff,

Thanks for taking the time to watch.. I know his ideas are different and a bit utopian (and yes, razz, do utilize technologies), but I always find it inspiring to at least put out-of-the-box ideas on the table. Bioregionalism in terms of food and energy supply is not an unreachable star. As far as Monsanto goes, yes, they will always be a formidable foe, but as long as enough people keep taking steps towards fixing the broken system, we'll get there.
    Yes, I agree. Kind of a "lead by example" type thing which - hopefully - catches on.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Yes, I agree. Kind of a "lead by example" type thing which - hopefully - catches on.
    I agree as well.

As I try to set up my little garden to grow some of my food, I am trying to sort out what can be grown in pots on the patio area. Small steps at a time.

It is funny to think that over my life, i have had a veggie garden of close to an acre In which we grew most of the family's winter supply that I processed by canning or freezing, and now I am down to a small 16'x3' bed plus a new little wedge along the fence that I installed last fall and pots on the patio.
    This year I am going to try planting tomatoes in my flowerbeds between the perennials.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just read that Michael Moore has a new documentary that is available on Youtube free for 3 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

Michael Moore presents Planet of the Humans, a documentary that dares to say what no one else will this Earth Day — that we are losing the battle to stop climate change on planet earth because we are following leaders who have taken us down the wrong road — selling out the green movement to wealthy interests and corporate America. This film is the wake-up call to the reality we are afraid to face: that in the midst of a human-caused extinction event, the environmental movement’s answer is to push for techno-fixes and band-aids. It's too little, too late.

Removed from the debate is the only thing that MIGHT save us: getting a grip on our out-of-control human presence and consumption. Why is this not THE issue? Because that would be bad for profits, bad for business. Have we environmentalists fallen for illusions, “green” illusions, that are anything but green, because we’re scared that this is the end—and we’ve pinned all our hopes on biomass, wind turbines, and electric cars?

No amount of batteries are going to save us, warns director Jeff Gibbs (lifelong environmentalist and co-producer of “Fahrenheit 9/11” and “Bowling for Columbine"). This urgent, must-see movie, a full-frontal assault on our sacred cows, is guaranteed to generate anger, debate, and, hopefully, a willingness to see our survival in a new way—before it’s too late.

Featuring: Al Gore, Bill McKibben, Richard Branson, Robert F Kennedy Jr., Michael Bloomberg, Van Jones, Vinod Khosla, Koch Brothers, Vandana Shiva, General Motors, 350.org, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sierra Club, the Union of Concerned Scientists, Nature Conservancy, Elon Musk, Tesla.

Music by: Radiohead, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Blank & Jones, If These Trees Could Talk, Valentina Lisitsa, Culprit 1, Patrick O’hearn, The Torquays, Nigel Stanford, and many more.
    I admit it was a head-turning movie. Disappointing, confusing, maddening.

But Bill McKibben is out defending himself--this movie has understandably dented his reputation and divided the environmental movement. So here is a rebuttal he wrote for Rolling Stone. As always, there are two sides of every store, and truth usually lies between two extremes. See what you think
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

But Bill McKibben is out defending himself--this movie has understandably dented his reputation and divided the environmental movement. So here is a rebuttal he wrote for Rolling Stone. As always, there are two sides of every store, and truth usually lies between two extremes. See what you think
    Thanks for posting this.

It is a fairly good rebuttal about his reputation and Michael Moore has a sensationalist reputation. And yes, we do eat our own whatever the movement. The movie did affirm that moneyed interests control the energy supply, they control the narrative and the message.
    I sent the movie along with some other rebuttals to a good friend. She was devastated to see the movie. Her problem and the general problem, IMO, is that no one wants to talk about the need to reduce our energy consumption and our lifestyles to do that. The movie clearly states that we, the developed world need to change. Bill's rebuttal avoids doing this to any significant point. He keeps talking about how much cheaper and more efficient the solar panels are today. He blames it all on the fossil fuel industry.

Our diet, our design and use of our homes, our extensive polluting travel, our elaborate toys and so on need to make mindful change. The movie said that! It needs to be said loudly and clearly. No one is talking about going back to living in a cave. Simple living and common sense will do wonders.

Watering lawns and golf courses is crazy using up precious resources and requiring extensive chemicals and machinery is one very simple example. A neighbour waters his lawn every other day and mows every third day using a trimmer, leaf blower, mower and irrigation system that introduces fertilizer and weed control. I use hybrid micro-clovers and manually dig out the weeds, mow every other week and hand-trim.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I respectfully disagree. As population increases, humans come in closer contact with wildlife AND as population increases and demands more of natural resources to satisfy their needs/wants which actions include destroying our forests, increasing carbon output and invading natural spaces, these impact climate change. They are both part of one large picture.
    Agree. Also note covid is worst in densely populated areas, as well as in affluent societies that use more resources, including on airline travel that spreads the virus.

Yppej

He isn't acknowledging the fallacy of technology will save us.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    He isn't acknowledging the fallacy of technology will save us.
    Does the movie propose what will save us, at least within reason, or is their premise as fallacious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Does the movie propose what will save us, at least within reason, or is their premise as fallacious.
    I agree to some extent with this thought as well. However, I think the primary purpose and focus of the Planet movie was to show the shift and group think that says different sources of power will enable us to continue as we have been doing. Until this paramount issue is addressed, all the green leaders and fossil fuel leaders will just snarl at each other with no change in consequences. That is the power of the movie and it was needed to address this or our goose is cooked. When the world acknowledges the need for change, solutions will unfold.

I read most of the rebuttal article... sorry but I got bored with all the "self-defense" stuff. I do agree with his idea that movements are to help change minds, hopefully, for the better good (my interpretation, not a direct quote).

I'm glad that the movie is out and has created a discussion that seems to be growing! Maybe the whole back-and-forth will help generate some positive progress with regards to climate control!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information